Featured Selling Silver For Scrap

Discussion in 'Silver' started by cxgirl, Oct 26, 2020.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    A few months ago I had a sterling mirror and brush set, the brush was dented and scratched, couldn't sell it locally for $40 so thought I would try removing the mirror and brush part and selling for scrap. It sold on Ebay within a few hours for around $110 I think - was easy to get the plaster stuff out of the handles, wasn't a pretty set or old, I think around 1930s. That was my first try at scrapping and was I quite happy at the result. So tonight I scrapped another set, again not a pretty set and had mirror damage and dents to both pieces so I didn't feel badly about taking them apart. The plaster stuff was harder on this set to get out, so after stabbing myself a few times I said 'screw it', took photos and said the handles still had the plaster inside - it sold within a couple of hours for $170.00 ( I paid $20 for them). The moral of my story is to keep an eye out for these sets, even if damaged you can sell them for good money scrapping them:) I sell them on Ebay as I get more money than if I sold them to the pawn shop here, they don't pay very much for silver and gold.
    Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 9.53.19 PM.png

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

:happy::beaver::happy::beaver::happy::beaver::happy::woot::woot::woot:

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Well done.
    I’ve got a few bits like that that I may put into a scrap lot on eBay.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

304 grams sterling is (Canada $291.93) this morning.

I just stripped a set yesterday.
    Only 85 grams bare, I have a local buyer when I get enough.

20201026_093639-horz.jpg

komokwa, cxgirl, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Congrats cxgirl and Davey.

komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

komokwa, cxgirl and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for all the replies folks:)
    for me I get more this way than if I sold them locally to the pawn shop, he doesn't pay very much for gold and silver.
    both the handles still had the plaster stuff in them so the actual weight of the sterling would have been less. The mirror handle was 8 3/4", the brush was 6", I'm pretty happy with the price I got:)
    DSCF5913.jpeg

bercrystal, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought of it before. If I just ship my scrap to Canada I get more dollars!

bercrystal and daveydempsey like this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Great finds and great flips cxgirl!

There's a lot of sneaky value in scrapping. I've had good success with brush/mirror sets, candle holders, candelabras etc. etc. The more you purchase weighted items, the greater the sense of value. Sometimes I have an item I know I will make a profit on, and other times I gamble on a few known silver items in hope that a larger lot will yield other weighted or solid items. As with most gambles, the lower your investment the higher your potential return. There's definitely a difference in quality/weight of brush/mirror sets that you can usually assess based on visual cues of a listing. Candelabras have yielded some of my best scrapping results. I feel zero remorse for scrapping items, even if they are kind of pretty. If they're banged up, they're almost always worth more to scrap. And if they are truly beautiful, they either command a higher value unscrapped, or I'm being unreasonable of my appreciation of the craftsmanship...The old saying goes, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. For weighted items, and especially items that like a brush that someone is supposed to use (I personally don't by 90 year old hair brushes), the true value often lies in the scrap value.

cxgirl likes this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Mr Nate:) I'm always searching but not finding many silver items, still worth looking as you never know when something will pop up:)

MrNate and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted