Semi Globular Australic Lamp....XVIIIth XIX th...Not so sure..!! Pls Help..!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BTZ64, Jan 30, 2020.

?

Period of this Object..?? XVIII OR XIX Cent..??

1. Mariage of two distinct period...Copper additional pieces..??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Origine from this Lamp..???

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Here is Semi Globular Candle Lamp....Which I suppose as mentioned on Google search....Is astral and don't give any shadow....???
    As few of my items ..I am questioning myself ..if this Lamp..Is not again..A marriage of 2 different aspects of what supposed to be the Original....Can't see on the web equivalence with Copper Knob..Copper ring...As per Photos attached.
    Interesting is that the main Glass or Christal shell sound like a deep UT note as an old Church Bell ....Beautiful sound....
    This Globe measures 28 cm Diam for H of 31 cm Excluding Copper Knob...Attached by 3 chains connected on 3 birds heads to hang it properly...Glass up part measuring 26cm Diam.
    Have cleaned the top and main globe with Warm water Washing liquid Vinegar and lemon juice;;;It was so Blur...
    Please help and give me as much possible info from your point of view and experience.
    Thanks again 001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG 010.JPG 009.JPG 008.JPG 007.JPG 006.JPG
    JB

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a candle holder with a smoke bell on top. Yours looks like a kerosene lamp was in the lower part with the smoke bell on top.
    greg

komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert on this, but I did some research and it can be referred to as a Bell Jar Lantern. Here's a similar one that has been electrified:

[​IMG]

4. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

5. sabre123

Any Jewelry and BTZ64 like this.
  6. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Thanks...Very interesting link....But when those Lamps have been Created..?? As a stuborn Dutch Antiques Colector...I would think that this one is very old...And the additional Copper fittings come from the Period of Dutch Ceylanese period in Ceylon...Sri lanka today....So in my mind ..This Lamp might be a transformed original which has changed Figure and Originality between 1750 and 1800...What do you think..??

7. sabre123

I'm afraid I can't be of much more help, in terms of dating this piece. Maybe someone will come along that can look at specific elements and put a time estimate and origin for you. Look at periods where those Peacock heads were popular, any clues in the glass making/finishing process, etc.

kyratango and BTZ64 like this.
  8. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Hoping some Enthousiasts will come with more Clues..Anyway..Big Thanks..!! JB

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

kyratango likes this.
  10. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

DUTCH PERIOD IN CEYLON....1640/1796
    A very interesting Book Called FURNITURE OF THE DUTCH PERIOD IN CEYLON
    By Richard Leslie Brohier

This book might interest ......You and others... 004.JPG 003.JPG 003.JPG 001.JPG 002.JPG

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  11. BTZ64

BTZ64 JB64000

Just sent today an interesting link to Any Jewelry...On the Subject..Hope it does interest you...jb

Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  12. sabre123

Good find, Jacques!

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  13. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I take a different view when I find a piece that has no provenance. I assume it is newer, and then use the clues on the piece to convince myself it has age. In this case, I don't see signs of age.

Start with the fact that there are tons of these in the market. Sabre found a good example. But there are lots more. There is a good link talking about a huge collection https://ogtstore.com/blog/classic-b...nstills-a-vintage-eclectic-edge-to-any-space/, that look very similar to Sabre's and yours. These are vintage from India, and still popular today with reproductions being made.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Then for your specific example, it is not astral (no shadows) because of the metal nipple on the bottom. When the light would shine there would be a shadow underneath from the nipple. And of course it has straight sides like the Indian examples instead of curved sides like the link you found. You suggest yours might have replaced metal work on it, but it is the glass that is relatively fragile, so the odds of someone replacing metalwork is small. And the metal has some age, but it does not look antique to me. Late 19th century into the 20th century is about as early as I could judge this to be if it were mine.

sabre123 and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

True. The bell of the example in the book is pure glass, and a more elegant shape.
    I agree that Jacques' lamp is likely to be later, and Indian made. The Ceylon example could have been Indian made as well, btw. The Dutch had colonies in several parts of India.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    sabre123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted