Featured Serpentine? Jade? Silver Pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, May 12, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Does anyone recognise the maker of this style of 3/4 surround pendant please?. Or is it too generic to guess?. It's marked 925 but nothing else and it's big- heavy and 6cm top to bottom!.
    The stone is really beautiful. When the light catches it it sparkles and there is depth to it especially on the lighter green area.
    Thanks for looking :)
    IMG_2824.jpg IMG_2820.jpg IMG_2821.jpg IMG_2822.jpg IMG_2823.jpg IMG_2826.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Someone else will probably come up with a candidate, but this does not look like any naturally green stone I can think of (jade, emerald, chrysoprase, diopside), more like dyed quartz.

stracci, i need help and judy like this.
  3. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Aventurine, maybe
    aventurine-gem-info-large-2018.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    kyratango, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That does look like a good candidate Stracci!.

stracci and kyratango like this.
  5. Bronwen

I forgot about aventurine quartz in my mental inventory, think you could be right.

stracci, kyratango and KSW like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Looks very like it now I've googled and it explains the sparkliness and depth. Does the hinge type bail date it at all or is this one of those that could have been made yesterday or 50 years ago?.

stracci and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

These days I have the problem that things I think of as new really appeared on the market 20 or more years ago. I wouldn't think it's any older than the 80s, & maybe quite a bit newer, but will be interested in comments of others. Good, solid piece.

stracci and KSW like this.
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I think some time around 20 years ago :joyful: I don’t think the hinge is distinctive from an era, just not common:)
    Time to get into your dark closet and light it from behind to see if it is translucent or opaque:cyclops:
    Aventurine is a good candidate and should be translucent:cyclops:

antidiem, stracci, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Oh yes!. Just cooking supper and I'll check it out.
    Quite randomly I discovered a M&S (Marks and Spencer's, High Street chain store) 1980s brooch with UV bright green reactive gems in it. I was under the impression it was all older glass that reacted so it was a surprise to find it in such a lowly piece of modern jewellery!.

Draft saved Draft deleted