Featured Set of chairs, 1920's?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, May 6, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

These were just set out at the thrift today, $7 each. All though a few scuffs near the bottom, wood is fairly heavy and they seem well made, no cracks or breaks. I like that the two seats are slightly different, so must have been hand done. And one of the main selling points was that they were comfortable.

I know some of you know furniture. What do you call those front feet ...paws? Also would love to have a guess on age, type of wood, etc. Appreciate any/all observations.

chair1.jpg chair2.jpg chair2b.jpg chair3.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think a little earlier,1890-1900s. I love the seats !

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I'd call them stylized paw feet.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Lucille.b

Thanks Johnny and Book. Appreciate the info.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

These side chairs have slip seats, vase-shaped splat backs, double H stretchers, and slightly curved front legs. Probably from the later part of the Colonial Revival period 1880-1930s?? Do wait for others to chime in on the timeframe and style.

http://www.buffaloah.com/a/del/641/dr/source/4.html

--- Susan

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW! There's a new one to me! Thank you!
    >>> A hoofed mammal, such as a horse, pig, deer, buffalo, or antelope, belonging to the former order Ungulata, now divided into several orders including Artiodactyla and Perissodactyla.

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Scoreeeeeeeeeeee! Nice catch! :)

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think later part is probably correct. I would think these are circa 1915. Similar chairs would have been made earlier but I would expect more detail and in oak or mahogany. These appear to be stained birch but it is kind of hard to tell with the dark oxidized finish. A lot of simple dark inexpensive furniture was made in the era of WWI. After the war, the furniture had more exuberance. Besides the new art deco style, traditonal style furniture more freely mixed styles and created new forms. This chair would have seemed old fashioned by the mid 20s.

Figtree3 and silverthwait like this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Just add a little Old English Furniture Polish. And then, send them to me!

:)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. Lucille.b

LOL, Silver I just might do that!

First off, thank everyone for the replies. Furniture is something I am still learning about. I can usually take a stab at date, but am much better with MCM. This earlier period is something I haven't dealt in so it all kind of looks the same-- late 1800's early 1900's, I would not be able to distinguish, so very much appreciate the help. Also thank you for the descriptive key words.

And I know that this darker style isn't selling great, but I think with those turquoise floral seat covers I think I have a chance. Also, the chairs are darn comfortable. It is not impossible I might keep them, but I'd have to redecorate my entire living room so they would fit.

Silver your post was timely, was just going to ask about polish. Is Old English good for something like this? They are dusty and could use a polish.

12. silverthwait

I absolutely love Old English. One has to be careful not to get it on anything but the wood, of course, but it covers scratches and dings and cuts beautifully. Also, it has the added ability of making something impervious to water. Or, perhaps "water-resistant" is better.

All I know is that my dining room table has a layer, and it has never had a watermark in 25 years of parties and children and wobble-fingered me!

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If you do decide to sell, teal appears to be very hot this year. :)

I've used Old English in the past with good results, but not for many years. I'm curious... if it were used on bookshelves, could the dye come off on any books sitting on the shelves?

14. silverthwait

Rub it well in, and let it just sit there for a while. Then take a damp cloth and rub all over. Nuffin!

Hey, I use the double damask on my table. :)

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, silverthwait. Good to know! :)

16. Lucille.b

So much for keeping these, I already have an interested buyer.

Can I ask, if I was going to just polish these up a bit (since stained birch) would I use polish for "dark wood"? Also they have something called, "polish and scratch cover" -- would that be appropriate? Thanks.

Pat P likes this.
  17. silverthwait

Yes to dark wood and polish and scratch cover. :)

18. Lucille.b

19. silverthwait

Draft saved Draft deleted