Set of metal cups found in a cave

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Bryan Martin, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Bryan Martin

Bryan Martin New Member

cup-1_sm.jpg cup-2_sm.jpg I appreciate anyone who can give any information on this cup. It was found in a cave in a remote part of the Philippines. It is one of a set that was recovered. This area was occupied by the Spanish and then the Japanese during World War II.

The person who found it wants to sell them for cash. Any idea what material this could be made of? Do the markings tell anything of where this was made? Any idea on the age? Any idea if this is of any value?

Thanks for your help!

judy likes this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

well done 20's........:):);)

Roaring20s likes this.
  4. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

they look to be of Indian or Chinese origin to me......

Boland likes this.
  5. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

My first thought is, do you believe the seller? With nothing to back the "cave" story like pictures as found in the "cave". I'd be very skeptical.

Fid and Boland like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Look like little Indian brass wine goblets to me.

Debora

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, most likely Indian.
    Whoever left them in the cave could be looking for them to continue the party.

Boland, komokwa and Debora like this.
  8. Bryan Martin

Bryan Martin New Member

Yeah, the cave story is legit. The Philippines is far from India, so now I am very curious as to how they got here. Doing some more research, some sites that are selling them say they are from the 70's. I will keep researching...

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

if you feel buying a story and paying for a worthless piece of formerly silverplated brass - why not...

10. Bryan Martin

Bryan Martin New Member

they are in pretty bad condition, so they aren't worth much - maybe $5-$10 a piece... but that is a lot of money to people here. I will confirm the story and try to go to the cave myself to see if there is any other evidence that might help determine their origin.

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

good luck. hoping that you find Aladdins original lamp as well.:)

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Indian brass can be found all over the world.
    Besides, Indian trade with The Philippines has been going on since at least the 6th century, probably before that. Why should it suddenly have stopped in the 1970s?

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They look Indian to me. I've seen those brass cups in flock velvet blue boxes, set of six. Some silver plate, some not.