Seto Chaire, Edo Period, Katatsuki Japanese Tea Caddy

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by georgeingraham, Jul 3, 2020.

1. georgeingraham

georgeingraham Active Member

Just to share..

Seto Chaire Katatsuki ( shouldered jar ) Thick Body Edo Period 17th - 18th Century.
    Takatori Kiln Dark Brown Glaze Exterior and Unglazed Interior Showing Built Up body.
    Base Showing Clockwise Cord Cutting.

Excavations of Takatori kiln sites have recovered a large body of tea caddy material, making possible more conclusions about takatori Chaire than about any other single genre of objects fired at the kilns. In Ozaki Naoto's work 9 (ref., "Potters and Patrons in Edo Period Japan: Takatori Ware and the Kuroda Doman") on tea cadies from the Uchigaso, Shirahatayama, Tsuzumi, and Oganotani kilns, Ozaki chose to make the following distinctions between tea caddy sherds from the four kilns: (1) object type (shape); (2) clay; (3) glaze and glazing technique; (4) treatment of the tea caddy's lower outer area ("waist"); (5) treatment of the inner surface; (6) decoration; (7) direction of revolution of the potter's wheel.

Tea caddies from the Takatoriyama kiln are comparatively rough and simple, reflecting the difficulty of producing small and delicate tea wares with only the rather poor materials the potters had been able to locate by that time. The technical aspects for tea caddy production were almost identical to those of other wares of the kiln.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Brassey and Houseful like this.
  2. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

3. georgeingraham

I have one very similar Msalicia.

Thanks for sharing yours !

[​IMG]

Msalicia likes this.
  4. Msalicia

Since you are on the subject all, mind helping me with this jar? It sounds like this subject is well versed except for me. I at least was able to get the photos in straight this time. Didn’t want to loose the pics I worked so hard to get right, I had a hard time finding where to type. Thank you Mr. Hull for the well used tutorial. Thanks all for any help

5. Msalicia

Wow that was a fast duplicate! I’m impressed. But could you tell me what I might call her sister? Where was she born? When? Instant family!

6. georgeingraham

From what I have been told, these were used to store and preserve tea and herbs while making the trip from China to the US to work the railroads. Mine still had the original cork sealed. I was curious and removed it to see the contents then replaced with wax seal covering the opening.

I can not recall the history exactly, but I think last quarter or so of the 19th century..

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Some of these are older but you can still buy these full at stores in Chinatown.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Msalicia and kentworld like this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I have 3 of the green jars — can be antique or, as Blooey points out, new.

georgeingraham and blooey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted