Featured Sewing tool

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by seouldave, Mar 20, 2018.

1. seouldave

seouldave New Member

Hi

Would someone please be able to help me identify this. It seem to be some tool related to sewing, but can't figure out what.

It is in a hard leather case, with the inside lined in velvet. It contains a paper envelope with some needles inside.

I'm sorry if this is posted to the wrong forum. Many thanks in advance.

20180320_171701.jpg 20180320_171632.jpg 20180320_171701.jpg 20180320_171632.jpg 20180320_171548.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hello. Seems a bit overbuilt for an etui, but someone used it for that.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Well, looking at other antique ones, this is almost modest & not overbuilt at all. Doe the cord/strap served to lift a velvet covered piece out of the case? Is it elastic (now dead) so that it could be worn on the wrist? This was meant to hold loose needles, not ones in packets; you ran them into the velvet to secure them.

Does the loose object fit into that bracket thing on the edge of lid? When open, is that the only position the hoop thing can be in or is it movable? I'm not familiar enough with the needle arts to guess what function this part serves. Not quite right for a thread winder, which some have. I'm very curious too. Hope a member comes along who knows. :happy:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  4. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

2382A9FD-153E-4002-B97E-9234D71C2639.jpeg
    Welcome, Seouldave!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Looks to me like the loop part held a thread spool, with the thread unwinding out through the front cut out part at the bottom of the spool hoop arm. The little thing that sticks out at top is for cutting the thread.

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's a novelty sewing kit in the form of a miniature valise (the handle is missing) - a thimble goes in the ring, the loose piece, which should have a cap on the threaded end, would hold thread and fit into the thimble, the strap is correctly holding a packet of needles, the little piece sticking up is the catch to hold it shut rather than a thread-cutter...

~Cheryl

7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

8. seouldave

seouldave New Member

Hi

Thanks so much everyone for that. You're true experts. I had no idea. I will try to find a thimble to finish the set.

Thanks again

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME seouldave!!! Unique item!!!! Looks like you posted in the right location too!!!:):)

10. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Cool little piece!

Leslie

Draft saved Draft deleted