Featured Shakespeare book thoughts

Discussion in 'Books' started by Chris Mount, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Chris Mount

Chris Mount Getting there

Hi all don' usually buy books but for $5.25 kinda thought this was a steal. Ok
    The works of shakespeare by samuel phelps Esq
    Engravings on steel by hablo k Browne
    Now this is a Little weary from its long travel but is intact but some pages are coming out and stained . Can I safely say that the engravings are coloured after.
    Are the engravings above each title woodblock of some sort.
    What' nice is the inscription in front page which is a little hard to read but the dates are 1870 and 1877 would be from owner would say.
    The main engraving pages are quite stained but adds to the whole age aspect in my opinion. Googled found info about the author and the artist but not much about the book. Any thoughts anyone would say mid 1800s given that samuel died in 1878 I believe. All thought welcome chris 15136638146070.jpg 15136638146551.jpg 15136638146842.jpg 15136638663243.jpg 15136638663894.jpg 15136639109187.jpg 15136639108696.jpg 15136639549939.jpg 15136639550340.jpg

2. Chris Mount

Found one on eBay in England 15136675140270.jpg

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I love books like this. Do you have both volumes? If you only have one the value would be less.

There are lots and lots of editions of Shakespeare. This one is nice due to the colored plates. I don't think the ones you show are woodcuts... although with some it's hard to tell. The title page says, "with engravings on steel" so that's what they are... steel engravings.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hablot K. Browne, aka Phiz.

The set found on eBay is the 2 volume set. As Figtree said, a single volume is going to be worth much less. Also, A) the set looks in very good condition & B) that's the asking price, may not be what it would sell for.

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Bronwen

One inscription is 'to [someone]...from [someone]' so a gift at one time.

Addendum: Looking again, think it may have been given from one family to another, not between individuals. If I'm seeing them correctly, the top--probably original owner-- date looks like 8th June 1870, while the second looks like July 18, 18[77?]. First is written in the British/European order; second would be American.

As Fig also said, volumes of the collected works of Shakespeare are common. Phiz was well-known for his illustrations of the work of Charles Dickens; his work here is what made the volumes special. Book probably of most interest to print sellers, who would slice out the illustrations & sell them matted.
    -

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  6. Chris Mount

How the blazes did you get that from that!
    Only have the one book plan on keeping it love the history behind it.
    Thanks for everyone' input as always.

7. Bronwen

It looks to me like it says: To the ____s/From the ______s. Nothing there looks like a first name or a last name with an honorific such as Mr. or Mrs.

I highly recommend it for reading, too. The copious notes should get you through all those lovely lost old words. :happy:

8. Figtree3

The second name looks kind of like "Rochmond" to me. Or something very similar.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Yes, Richmonds, I think.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Chris Mount

Look what I found same shop
    Vol1 little worse for wear engravings of hamlet and Romeo and Juliet not bad for 5.25 15150443526020.jpg 15150443526561.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

The value went up now that you have both. Looks like tgey went together.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted