Featured Share your antique photographs here

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by terry5732, Apr 8, 2015.

1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Not really a place for asking questions. Just a place to put your old, original photos into the inner webs. Maybe a title or description.

2. terry5732

3. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

That'd be a good one for captions, 2 on the left look like brothers

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Have one of my Gram's cousin Dennis. It is his watch fob that has me wondering.
    It is a Maltese cross but on the left arm is a skull and cross bones and on the right arm looks like a capital G. Any ideas of it's significance??
    greg 001.jpg

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Masonic? A skull is often Oddfellows too. Fraternal anyway.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

With the "G" and skull & crossbones, I vote Masonic, Freemasonry, specifically Knights Templar. The order of Knights Templar does utilize the skull and bones quite regular like on their aprons, sashes, jewelry, etc. The KT's skull & bones is said to represent:

"... the skull symbolizes Golgotha (the place of the skulls) where Jesus died, and the bones are in the shape of the passion cross (how Jesus carried his cross)."

Can you tell if the "G" is in the middle of the Masonic symbol of square and compass? In freemasonry the "G" stands for God and Geometry.

--- Susan

Brenda Anna likes this.
  7. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Great thread!

I picked this one up at the weekend - by John Blake of Fore St, Devonport (Devon, UK). It's a size I've not seen before; 12.5x8cm or 4.9x3.1". It has the appearance of a CDV rather than a cabinet card. It's blank on the reverse. lace maker442-small.jpg

8. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

Feeding chickens with a bit of flair.

001.JPG

9. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

004.JPG
    Old Hardware Store

10. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

I think we have either one or two antique photographs and this is one of them...

TIN TYPE 002-001.JPG
    (Boy at left holding a sack of flour and knife. Boy at right holding a whip and knife.)

11. Dax

Dax Indigo Guy.

Bathing beauty lineup. Found this on Shorpy. Aren't they adorable?

[​IMG]

Born2it, kyratango, outatime and 5 others like this.
  12. terry5732

13. gregsglass

Hi Susan,
    There is no compass or square, if there was I would have known Masonic forsure.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Ladybranch

Interesting thread! I'll add a couple that came into my possession in the last few months.

1. This is a mounted 1910/1911 photograph of a field of my great uncle's Connecticut Valley tobacco farm. The tobacco of that area was and probably still is used for the binder and wrappers of cigars.

1910TobaccoField-orig.jpg

1910TobaccoField-e.jpg

2, 1908-1914 real photo postcard as opposed to a photomechanical (ink and printing press) image postcard with a "full bleed" image on thin flexible mat finished paper. It is of Abington Four Corners in Pomfret, CT. On the left is my grandfather's general store. My grandfather owned the building and he and a cousin owned the and ran the business, the store. In front of the store is his car and the store's delivery wagon. Up on the right is a 2 room grade school house that my mother and her brother attended. I think the 1st-4th met in one room and the 5th-8th in the other room. For high school she traveled (1926-1930) to the nearest large town in a black school bus that had no glass in the windows, only pull down shades. There was a bench on each side of the bus. In the winter, shades were pulled down and fastened on the windows and in the middle of the bus was a wood burning pot belly stove. As they sat on the benches their feet could reach the stove. I would show the back of the postcard, but there are family addresses and info. The interesting thing about this postcard, printed at the bottom of the back:

"Pub. By Whitehouse & Amidon, Abington. No. 245 Made in Germany"

Now that is my grandfather and his cousin, but it was made in "Germany." I wonder why they didn't have it printed/made in US. Hartford wasn't that far off. I have seen many postcards, etc... done in Hartford back in that time.

PostcardAbington4Corners.jpg

--- Susan

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Born2it, Joe2007, Karahbell and 6 others like this.
  15. Ladybranch

I meant to add to the info on that postcard picture. The road running left and right is US 44 today and the cross road is Hwy 97. That road was originally an Indian trail then in the late 1600s and 1700s it was a divergent of the old Boston Post Road that ran from Boston to Hartford and then down to NYC. Washington traveled this road going to and from Boston after the siege of Boston.

If you look closely at middle road/route on the following map, you will see Pomfret, the 2nd town after crossing the MA/CT stateline.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Boston_Post_Road_map.png

--- Susan

16. gregsglass

Hi Susan,
    A lot of local postcard stuff was printed in Germany. Even out in the sticks of western Pennsylvania from the 20th century were outsourced to Germany and England.
    greg

17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Here are 2 I haven't shown before. The first is my 2X great-grandmother in the front passenger seat with 4 people I can't positively identify - probably her brother "driving." Taken in 1909 on her extended visit to Seattle for the Alaska-Yukon Exposition (her brother lived here then) at Charleston Foto. It was printed (glossy, not matte) on the front of a postcard and mailed back to my great grand parents in Brooklyn.

Sarah Marks Hodgson in Seattle 1909.jpg

This second one is on a postcard mailed from McKenna, North Dakota in late 1909 to my great-grandparents by a business acquaintance who was a travelling hardware products representative. Charming picture of a Native American mother and child, but the building behind them looks more southwest than northern plains, doesn't it? Edit - LOL! I just flipped it over again and it says "Front Porch of Indian Mansion, Taos, N.M."

McKenna N Dakota Postcard 1909.jpg

18. terry5732

Great great grandpa in his Nekoosa shop around 1927
    0307 photos0002.JPG
    The antique chairs looked old back then

Born2it, Joe2007, artsfarm and 5 others like this.
  19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A harness maker, Terry?

KingofThings likes this.
  20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't have this anymore, but it was a hand tinted photo of Lake Louise in Banff. The tinting was particularly well done.
    [​IMG]

Another hand-tinted B&W (certainly not antique), this one of the Bluenose II, from the Maurice Crosby studio of Nova Scotia.
    [​IMG]

A cabinet photo of a winter scene. It had an almost staged crispness.
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted