Featured Share Your Jewelry Displays

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by singing, Nov 24, 2021.

1. singing

singing Active Member

Needing some photo displays for my earrings, I found these images on google and had them printed up and plastic coated at our local print shop. I've cut slits for the clip backs and made pinholes for the studs. The lady at the print shop helped with sizing the photos for me. If I was to do it over again, I would try to find a matte finish to avoid lighting glare. They work pretty well as is with a slight tilt of camera lense : )

12.JPG a.jpg c.jpg b.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Very clever. Will keep in mind. Are the ladies from fashion magazines? (Shows you what I know.)

kyratango, judy and komokwa like this.
  3. singing

singing Active Member

I suppose they are? -shows what I know too.

kyratango, judy and Bronwen like this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

That's a charming idea!

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya....a neat idea....
    but...
    u say....photo displays......so for your own personal earring collection.....Right?

cuz.....if you're using these women photo's....for selling your product ...without compensating the women...or photographer's for their work............

well then......... if that's the case.....we'd have a big problem.

Houseful, judy, Potteryplease and 2 others like this.
  6. singing

singing Active Member

Hi komokwa I should have mentioned there is a way to check if Google images can be copied, shared, and or used.

1) When searching Google, - Click on ‘Tools’ at the top of the result's page to get the filter menu.
    2) Now, click on ‘Usage Rights’ and you will see the option to sort images by their license - Creative Commons or commercial use.
    3) Select Commercial Use.
    ** See first example below.

Many times Google will now default your search to many of the free image sites.

4) When you then click on a particular image and it's highlighted on the right of the page, you may see a link that reads "Licence details"
    ** See second example below.

5) Follow the "Licence details" link to the license agreement. Many times the license reads something like the second example shown below.
    ** See third example below.

InkedCapture 1_LI.jpg InkedCapture 4_LI.jpg Capture 2.JPG

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I tried all kinds of backgrounds for jewelry, everything from lace to a bed of dried beans. What I settled on was copyright free photos and using Photoshop adjusted them so there isn't a lot of contrast. I found everything else, though nice backgrounds, competed with the item I was selling and made it harder to see the details.

These are the ones I use the most...
    NapierNcklcFt1.jpg YlwSwrlBrnBrsBdNecklFt2.jpg SashPinLot2FtSm.jpg

Aquitaine, reader, singing and 6 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There is a matte spray for photos.

Aquitaine, reader, singing and 4 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

That is my problem with a lot of jewellery listings. They are often eligible for the 'Invisible listings' thread.;)
    I generally photograph them against a plain white background, something like gold filigree against black. And the jewellery always takes centre stage, just like on your excellent photos.

Showing a photo of a pretty girl with the earring being so small that it looks insignificant doesn't work for me, sorry.:sorry: Those are the listings I skip, because I want a good view of the jewel, not the girl, who I won't be buying anyway.

Sorry to be so negative @singing , but in my jewellery search I have come across too many photos where I have had to strain my eyes to spot the jewellery. So I have given up even looking at those listings.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Aquitaine, reader, singing and 3 others like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

If you are listing on Ebay where you get 12 photos, I show earrings in close up shots, laying flat front and back, close up of signatures if any, shown next to a ruler, (all of these on a plain background), then hanging on an earring display. I'm inspired and feel like one more photo, I have a cut out 1940s cut out hand drawn illustration of a full woman's head I have which would be similar to the photos of women above, and then stage the earring like Singing did. But I don't use that one as my primary photo because I prefer a close up for that one.

reader, singing, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I agree, that is best for the primary one.

reader, singing, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  12. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

WARNING - this is no way near foolproof, because if people have stolen the image and listed it as creative commons somewhere Google doesn't check, they only respond to reporting. So you could be using an image which has been stolen in the first place - this gets you in the same trouble as stealing it yourself.

The only safe way to do this is to buy from a stock agency, as in the very unlikely event one of theirs is stolen they would be liable. There are stock agencies which have free images too which are safe to use, such as Adobestock. Stick with a known company and you will be fine.

Source: Wife used to be a professional photographer who sold through agencies and has successfully won compensation numerous times for image theft, including ones falsely listed as creative commons!

Aquitaine, reader, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Thanks, Ce, good to know.
    Good for her! Image theft, intellectual property theft, etc are rife. Even when someone tries to do the right thing, like @singing conscientiously did, it is almost impossible to avoid it.

Aquitaine, reader, singing and 3 others like this.
  14. komokwa

butfly5.JPG

if I'm going to use props....they don't distract from the item being photographed...

Aquitaine, Joan, stracci and 5 others like this.
  15. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I think the metal thing is hiding your nicely hand made wooden box a bit too much though :angelic:

reader, Any Jewelry, singing and 4 others like this.
  16. komokwa

I'm actually selling the black t-shirt !!
    :playful::playful::playful:....:woot:

Bronwen, Aquitaine, reader and 4 others like this.
  17. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I like your idea of using a photograph with slits or holes for the earrings. Do you print the photo so the head is life size? I've been using a mannequin head to show the correct proportion of an earring and then combine it with a closeup of the earrings alone using a photo editing program. But now I'm thinking of taking some photos of the mannequin and getting 8x10 prints so the mannequin head doesn't take up space on my desk. I also like Any Jewelry's idea of using matte spray so the photo doesn't glare.
    YSLsnakeEarrings-1.jpg

Bronwen, Aquitaine, reader and 4 others like this.
  18. singing

singing Active Member

Yes Joan the photos are close to life-size measuring 9 x 11". I also use your method of split images to show jewelry close up like here with this tiger eye pendant I bought mixed in a lot. It had heavy polish marks and was a freebie by the time the other items in the lot were sold so, listed it as a fun piece for a child that could be strung on cord or leather. It sold and the buyer loved it : ) I do include close ups in all my listings but do think a pretty lady, etc, as the main picture gets a lot of clicks.

Titles are important too-

Vintage Handmade Southwestern Painted Desert Sunset Tiger Eye Pendant

Sometimes I'll include other pieces I have for sale as backdrops.

Thanks @Any Jewelry for the matte spray info.

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Bronwen, reader and Joan like this.
  19. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

The tiger eye pendant with the photo of the little boy is definitely eye catching. And I agree that titles are important too. I wouldn't have thought to use "Painted Desert Sunset Tiger Eye", but it's much more enticing than just "tiger eye" and would help to lure a potential buyer in for a closer look. For my YSL earrings, I was going to just call them snakes until I found others using the terms Marrakech Serpents (which sounds much more exotic).

20. singing

singing Active Member

Lol- The person who purchased the Tiger Eye pendant left a nice review saying "Sweet pendant with well defined landscape picture. Just what I was looking for!" Considering how hard it is to sell Tiger Eye sometimes, (even the nicest large pieces) it made me feel good to help give pretty Tiger Eye quartz a boost in popularity : )

Bronwen, Aquitaine, reader and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted