Sheet Music

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Jennifer Slater, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Jennifer Slater

Jennifer Slater New Member

I have piano sheet music from 1900 through 1940. Does anyone know if there is a market for this?

judy likes this.
  2. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Plenty of hobbyists collect vintage sheet music for, variously, the cover art, the subject area, of course the music itself, and loads of other niche reasons.
    Some specifics as to what you have there...?

komokwa and i need help like this.
  3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

There is a market; but most sheet music from this era sells for very little - a dollar or two. But as BaseballGames mentioned, if it has appealing art, you might get a bit more.
    But antique malls are full of it, because it was sold by the thousands, and is not in high demand today.
    I'd check ebay for some of your specific titles and that should give some idea of what you have.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and i need help like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

if it has the image of someone well known, those sell better.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Jennifer!

I agree with the above posts.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Jennifer Slater

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those are a pound or two each here, purely on the images.

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  8. Jennifer Slater

Thanks for your help!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Anything showing old cars, trains, bicycles, zeppelins etc is collected.

Christmasjoy and BaseballGames like this.
  10. BaseballGames

Most anything with subject matter involving sports, as well... but, ooh, condition -- might be the lighting or the photo, but those look rather tattered and water-damaged, which, if that's the case, really hurts market value...

Christmasjoy, all_fakes and Houseful like this.
  11. all_fakes

I'd think most of these would be found in US antique shops from $.25 to $2.00

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. BaseballGames

No argument at all with what anyone's posted -- just sayin', "baby... bathwater." Generic stuff, not much of a return to be had, true. But a piece with the right cover image -- celebrity, classic film, sports, product (e.g. Coke), the things Houseful mentioned, &c', &c', can make for a great display item and fetch pretty big bucks in the right auction.

all_fakes and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. all_fakes

No argument with baseball. It can be hard sorting the baby from the bathwater though. I've got a ton of old sheet music, 1920 and on, inherited from my Mother. Picked one title, found ebay sold listings at $.50, unsold at $2. Same with the next, and the next, and the next....finally just gave up, discouraged. One problem is that if the person depicted was famous, that sheet music probably sold thousands of copies, and most of them are nearly worthless.
    But for sure a collector of say, Shirley Temple memorabilia will be aware of the piece of sheet music featuring her that was printed in an edition of 100 before the graphics were changed, and only 3 known to exist, worth $1000 to the right collector......
    But the whole problem is figuring that out, when Mom left you 500 pieces of sheet music.
    About all you can do is put in the time to do the research, focus on the ones with good graphics, celebrities, and such, and see what you come up with.

Draft saved Draft deleted