Shelley fine bone China question

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Shawne7e7, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Shawne7e7

Shawne7e7 New Member

Hi any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I recently picked up a collection of these and had no problem figuring out the proper names of the others, however I have been researching for the past three hours and can’t figure it out I have been going crazy. Anyone who has any idea would be my hero.
    CF59A2B8-8362-4680-8CF5-7D5F1CF3D6CA.jpeg 3CE7FBDA-E7C8-494F-AD1B-2088C3AC4CC3.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

In June 1966 Shelley China Ltd became part of Allied English Potteries (A.E.P.). After fulfilling all outstanding orders, the production of Shelley ware stopped. The factory was named "Montrose Works" and Royal Albert ware was produced at the works until the early eighties.

PortableTreasures likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

BTW welcome to the board.

i need help likes this.
  5. flipper

Another excerpt from the transition to Montrose Works and the production of Royal Albert:

"Introduced in 1966, this shape is known as both the Shelley Shape and the Dainty Shape. This is the year that the Shelley China company was taken over by the Allied English Potteries and the production of Shelley China was stopped. The factory was renamed Montrose Works and production of Royal Albert began and continued into the early 1980s.

This cup shape is a heavily textured that has petal-like ribbed panels that widen near the top. Looking at the saucer that accompanies the teacup, it is easy to spy the petals of a flower. This particular series, known as Blossom Time Series (not to be confused with the pattern), has a pastel handle. A feature that is often seen on the Shelley brand of teacups and saucers."

I guess what I am theorizing is that your pattern is a transitional pattern. There is a website I found called www.royalalbertpatterns.com, but it takes a long time to load and seems a little sketchy for some reason. I am intrigued (as usual :rolleyes:) and would love to help you solve the mystery.

Welcome!

6. clutteredcloset49

@flipper -
    I'm not sure why you are referencing Royal Albert. They may have bought Shelley out as you say, but they didn't use the Shelley back stamp.
    All that we can deduce is that the cup and saucer were made before 1966.

Here are the Royal Albert back stamps from the link you provided. You will see they did not continue the Shelley mark.
    http://www.royalalbertpatterns.com/reference pages/Royal Albert Back Stamps-.htm

BTW - That's an interesting site. Thank you.

7. Shawne7e7

Shawne7e7 New Member

Thank you for your replies I thought it was a 449 A as well but in my limited knowledge no Shelley from that time period uses that type of numbering. I was able to find a few pieces with the same design but they were cheaper pieces that from brands that I have never heard of. I really appreciate everyone taking time to respond and help me.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Hi! I have a comprehensive book on Shelley patterns. Can you look very hard at the number on the bottom because I don't think it's 449. Use a loop or magnifier.

I was able to determine that the Shape was called Atholl. The description for this cup shape is "Shape - Atholl with Standard Handle, dates 1958 - 1960s. Primarily designed for export to the US and Canada. Used for Bestware and Ideal China Canadian Tea Wares."

With the number I could maybe provide more info. Will keep looking.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

HeeHeeHee, I was just thinking how a different word would be pronounced by someone with a lisp and sound like Atholl. Unless the H is silent and it sounds like Atoll.:D:D:D

10. Shawne7e7

Shawne7e7 New Member

Ola thanks for your help you are awesome. These are the best pictures I could come up with the more confused I am. 0C1826F9-BEE5-4250-86DF-46257925B527.jpeg F8681373-230F-4A1D-BA01-5E88FF418900.jpeg B0E7F876-CCF4-481F-BF26-E5A5DB0FD152.jpeg

11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the additional photos. I think I've got it now. I was wrong about the cup shape. It is called Stratford. The pattern is 0660/B which was called Dark Red Rose (duh!). The description says: Pattern in a white ground. Gold print border. Pattern also inside cup. Gold edges. Ideal China/Canadian Teaware. Entered in pattern book during or after 1965. Backstamp Shelley 1940-1966. There were 5 other colorways or patterns in this item number with a different letter behind the number.

Cup shape Stratford - Used for Bestware, Ideal China/Canadian Tea Wares and Seconds Ware. Produced 1950-1965.

Bookahtoo and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

BTW, I don't understand what is meant by "seconds ware" above. It's like they decided to make 2nd quality wares. I always thought 2nds were mistakes or flaws found during the QA process.

13. flipper

All I was trying to say is that it may have been near the transition from one company to the other and that might be why you could not find it so readily.
    Ola made it much easier to understand. I cannot delete what I wrote yesterday, but perhaps I am making a bit more sense today? :cyclops:

14. Shawne7e7

Shawne7e7 New Member

Thanks for your help Ola. I'm still just a little confused though why it is literally nowhere on the internet at all.

15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I agree and I googled every key word I could think of. The only idea I have goes back to what @flipper says above. Shelley was acquired in June 1966 and from that point on no other Shelley China was produced. It was all Royal Albert produced from then on out of the old Shelley factory. Since this pattern entered the pattern book in 1965, it would probably be safe to assume that not enough of it was made in the year it existed and not much of it survives. Not to mention the fact that it really had no pattern name, just a line number with a description of the decoration.

And I see that's what flipper has already stated. Sorry for being redundant.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@say_it_slowly That's a pretty one! Do you know when it sold and for how much?

In case anyone cares, the 0660 line was as follows:

/A Ambleside
    /B Dark Red Rose
    /C Orchid
    /D Floral Spray
    /E Blue Floral
    /F Yellow Rose

And I should mention the book. Shelley Tea Ware Patterns by Sheryl Burdess.

18. Shawne7e7

Shawne7e7 New Member

Thanks again for everyones help I really appreciate it.

19. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

SIS, by searching under the name of the cup shape, I actually found a sold one on Worthpoint. It was sold in July 2014 for $46.00. These are the photos. The listing said "Shelley Stratford Dark Red Rose Cup and Saucer" with the line Number as well.

1_079a0d4ba544a41f86509203c260f6bf-1.jpg 1_079a0d4ba544a41f86509203c260f6bf.jpg

20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This one was 0635 also called Dark Red Rose and so similar it's hard to see if there is a difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted