Featured Sherwood Birmingham oil Lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cxgirl, Mar 26, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Here is a Sherwood Birmingham oil lamp I picked up - from the shape of the font I'm wondering if this would have fit into a wall bracket? The font is 5" in height, lamp including chimney is 16" in height.

DSC02959.jpg DSC02962.jpg DSC02968.jpg DSC02966.jpg DSC02970.jpg DSC02971.jpg

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

That probably was in a much larger porcelain, decorated, footed base

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Lovely font! This font could have been a bracket type. The type of bracket that was only a ring, not the cup type. like the following:

bracket.jpg

or in a hanging hall lamp like...

Hall.jpg

It is hard for me to think that this lovely font was made to sit down inside of anything.

I'm not all that sure that Sherwood made the whole lamp. They probably made only the burner. Most of their burners were supplied to other lamp companies. Also this burner may not be original to this lamp. Oil lamps with smaller less complex burners should never be judged, dated, by the burner because it was common to change/replace burners periodically. Now with bigger more complex burners this didn't happen so often. Most complex central draft burners, this isn't one, were only compatible with that company's fonts because of the central air vent tube through the fonts.

BTW, this is a duplex burner, 2 parallel wicks with 2 individual wick adjusters and a extinguisher lever on the opposite side.
    http://www.oldcopper.org/lamp_burners.htm
    http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Burners/duplex.htm

Here's a little history on Sherwood.
    http://www.oldcopper.org/sherwoods.htm

--- Susan

4. Jerry D Carr

Jerry D Carr Member

love the uranium glass shade. Had to get a uv flashlight at amazon, now I take it everywhere.

antidiem and cxgirl like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photos and links Susan:) Yes, the glass is too pretty to cover up, would look beautiful as a hanging lamp! I've found lamps with metal bases (they are stamped Sherwoods) and glass fonts, not sure if they made the glass parts. I agree, burners do get switched out which sometimes makes it hard to figure out who made it - I just ordered the price guide book on Sherwoods, should get here in a couple of weeks and hopefully will have some information on the Company and maybe this lamp.

6. Ladybranch

>I just ordered the price guide book on Sherwoods, should get here in a couple of weeks and hopefully will have some information on the Company and maybe this lamp.<

Do post when you get the book! I've thought of getting the book, but just don't come into enough contact with Sherwood to justify the purchase.

--- Susan

cxgirl likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hey CX.......You're lampy is now a featured item !!!

woot woot !! Yipee !!!!
    :woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::):):):):):smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's beautiful.

cxgirl likes this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yes I will Susan! I love the internet for information but I still like to sit with a book and go though it. Who knows, maybe someone else will have a Sherwoods lamp and I can help them out. lol, I'm trying to justify my buying it.
    That is excellent komokwa although I have no idea what featured item means:confused:

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Absolutely gorgeous, you seem to be finding some nice oil lamps, CX. You go girl!

I think featured means that this website is "featuring" this discussion on their homepage. If you click on "home" you will see your lamp. Kind of a sample of the quality things we talk about here, for people who are maybe seeing the site for the first time. It was a good choice to feature this.

tyeldom3 and cxgirl like this.
  11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Ok, that is very cool! Thanks Lucille:)

12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@Ladybranch I received the Sherwood book on Friday, yea!!
    I'm glad I purchased it, shows lots of very nice lamps. They did offer glass oil lamps but they didn't make the glass - no indication as to what company, they just say 'the best British Glass'. My lamp isn't shown in the book but they do show what they call a 'stove lamp' - looks identical to the large Veritas oil lamp I showed a while ago. I don't have a scanner but will include a link to a closed auction that shows a similar lamp but has the heater/crown top with it. In the book they are cast iron heater tops, the one in the auction is more ornate. I'm going to see if I can find one of those heater tops for mine.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wright-amp-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    Here is a link from the same seller, but look at this shade. Looks similar to mine - maybe I should sell the shade separate from the lamp?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorian-V...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

mymysharona43 likes this.
  13. michaela schumann

michaela schumann New Member

Hi Im looking for some I

14. michaela schumann

michaela schumann New Member

Hi I have a glasd

15. Ladybranch

> I received the Sherwood book on Friday, yea!! <

I'm sorry, I didn't reply sooner! I missed seeing this latest posting of yours. Delighted you got the book, but sorry your lamp isn't specifically pictured.

>Looks similar to mine - maybe I should sell the shade separate from the lamp?<

Gee, I don't know what to tell you on selling separate or together. I'm not a seller. Maybe others experienced in selling will chime in on advise.

--- Susan

Draft saved Draft deleted