Featured Ship engraved wardrobe - ideas of period and value?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Nina Rann, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Nina Rann

Nina Rann New Member

I saved this wardrobe from being scrapped last year with the intention to up-cycle it. Before I start sanding and painting it I’d like to know if it has any major value and what period it might be from? There are no markings on it as far as I can see and I’m not very good at guessing what wood it’s made from - but it is solid. Inside it has a mirror, small metal shelf, large wooden shelf and clothes rail.
    Any feedback would be much appreciated

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a cool piece . Just guessing,but I think 1920s or so . Can we see the inside ? Im thinking maybe a locker for a school or something ,but a veddy fancy one .

3. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Hi Nina, That's a nice piece you have there! I would say oak for wood. It would be a shame to paint it. I'll leave it to the pros to help with age. I'm sure they will want to more pictures.

Christmasjoy, judy and Pat P like this.
  4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Agree, 1920s. The image of a Spanish Galleon was very popular ship in the 20's. Cast iron door stops & bookends also all the rage....

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nina, none of my business to tell you what to do but... If your wardrobe is in good condition, it would just be best left alone. Charming as is. Know brown wood not fashionable at moment but, as all women know, fashions come and go and some we regret. Just my opinion.

Debora

6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Agree with Debora - too pretty to paint.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Didn't we have one of these recently? Gentleman's wardrobe, English oak circa 1920. Arts and crafts influence. IMHO, it would be criminal to paint this. Minimum value $250.00 and some people would pay quite a bit more.

As an aside, a friend of mine has one very similar so they must have been a thing at the time they were made. It is one of his prized possessions and would kill anyone coming near with a paint brush.

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same... I'd leave it as is.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Some old furniture deserves a coat of paint. . .this ain't one of them!

Christmasjoy, Bakersgma and Pat P like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

@verybrad is right, we've had at least two of these and I've seen more in the UK. 1920s/30s English Oak bloke's wardrobe. Not as much value here as in the US, but PLEASE do not paint it. Give it a clean off with something like Orange Glo Wood, then a very light wax.

There are many suburban houses, especially in Metroland, which have full sail galleons as stained glass door insets. Some were made by Whitefriars.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Nina.
    Nice wardrobe. Just so everyone can see:

[​IMG]

12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Check the nails holes.Are they Square ? I can't tell from the picture.Sometimes I take a very very mild ammonia and water and gentle clean the old finish. Be careful with the ammonia because it is a varnish stripper use it very diluted or murphy's soap. This will take off the grime with out destroying the old finish. Then you can go over it with Howard's beeswax or old english and buff it and it will hid the scratches and shine the finish. Do not paint it. Too good of a piece. Often called bachelors cupboards in our neck of the woods.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's just too bad someone lost the key and installed a door knob on it at some point! This is one more vote for NO PAINT. That's quarter sawn oak. I'll let the experts tell you what to do to the finish, but please don't paint it.

Darkwing Manor and Christmasjoy like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ammonia is a good thought, that can clean crud well. And has the added advantage of clearing sinuses.

It needs a dangly handle on it.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  15. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Uh-oh....

16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'd paint it mauve. my niece loves mauve.

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Well, she does have strange relatives so....

Draft saved Draft deleted