Ship type and lapel pin or tie tac?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by rknarr2, Jan 23, 2020.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

I have this ship tie tac? The dimensions with tie tac and chain is around 2" long. The ship is about 1/2" x 5/8". I would like to find out what this type of ship is, if this is a lapel pin or tie tac, the decay it is from and the material. Does the location of the pin on the object help to determine whether it is a lapel pin or tie tac? Thank you for your assistance in this request. Rob
    IMG_9265small.JPG IMG_9269small.JPG IMG_9275small.JPG IMG_9267small.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears to be the Santa María, identifiable by the cross on the sails.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And a tie tack. Here's one of similar construction featuring a clipper ship.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

4. rknarr2

Thank you. I saw that cross and the first thing that went through my mind from watching a tv show oak island were the Knight Templars. hahaha

5. rknarr2

thank you for tie tac and clipper ship. Rob

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

With the Columbus connection, it would not surprise me that this was acquired in the early 1990's when the 500th anniversary of his first voyage across the ocean was being celebrated.

8. rknarr2

Awesome. My great etc.... grandfather was on the Mayflower. He died from disease in America and his wife and kids came over the following year. Rob

Draft saved Draft deleted