Ship's lantern - real or repro

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by smallaxe, Sep 19, 2021.

1. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Is there a way to tell if a ship's lantern is authentic (actually made for that purpose), or a repro for decoration. About 40 or 50 years ago, my dad got two ship's lanterns. One he had electrified as a lamp. The other, pictured below (lightbulb for size reference), is unchanged, and still has the lantern wicks. The only identifying mark I could find was on the wick turnscrew, which says "Jans of London England". It stands about 2 feet tall. It appears to not have been put in service. If authentic, are these common as dirt, or do they have some value? Any ideas on age?
    lantern1.jpg lantern2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Not sure. At first glance it looked authentic to me with that Jans kerosene double burner (and you say bought 40-50 years ago,that’s also sounds positive ) But also it is in very good condition, no front plate and no maker (that makes me wonder) It does however look like heavy thick glass. Will wait and see what the knowledgeable members say.

The reproduction ones we get here often look and feel flimsy with no significant weight and the thin glass. Hopefully this isn’t a high quality Indian reproduction. The authentic ones are very collectable and sell well.

3. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

A real one - In the 50's & 60's ship light manufacture largely shifted to Asia and South Asia, but a fair number were still made in Europe. This looks to have a real fresnel lens (thick glass for refracting light). Nice looking light.

4. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Yes, it is heavy - a bit over 20 pounds - and the glass is very thick.

Boland likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

That’s the way we like them!!

smallaxe and Pat Dennis like this.