Shipwreck bottle? Chinese antique farm?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Jul 18, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Found this on local site the other day and bought it on a whim. It appears old and to have been in the ocean for a long time. The seller didn’t know what it was or that it looked that way. Just a lady that liked unique textures on decorative items. It is very heavy and much bigger than I realized it was going to be. I thought it was going to be kind of ginger beer bottle sized. There is a hole drilled in the bottom, presumably after it was taken out of the water. Assuming it was in the water that is. There is no growth in the hole which is why I assume it was done after. Any reason to drill a hole other than for a lamp? The base has to be near an inch thick. It’s a red clay/material, I guess it’s stoneware. I imagine it’s from a shipwreck. I suppose it could have just been thrown in the water too. Looks like it was saltwater. I also suppose some place in Asia might just throw hundreds of bottles in the ocean for a few years and then sell them as shipwreck items. So it could just be “applied” patina in a way. Lady bought it at a vintage shop so that bodes well probably. She said they get their inventory mostly from estate sales. I’d guess they buy out the leftovers or it’s a clean out guys store. It looks like there could be some markings on base but nothing definitive. I’ve never actually seen a stoneware bottle/jug in this style and size. Maybe someone can place it to a time and place in the world based on its design? Would like to hear opinions as always. It wasn’t exactly cheap but it wasn’t really expensive either. Figured it was worth a gamble. 5C5D758F-EBCF-4471-ABED-B6E857832C90.jpeg 9AA31413-CF99-4C1E-A8FA-FB27C3386656.jpeg C42D2D90-5151-4FDF-9E9E-908526BA955F.jpeg 7213F9D3-FE7D-491D-B18E-CA7250A4368B.jpeg 785316D7-811E-4912-AAC0-94E923A44213.jpeg

LauraGarnet02 and KSW like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It almost reminds me of German lava ware .

LauraGarnet02, KSW and J Dagger like this.
  3. J Dagger

That would be insane if that were it. I suppose it’s possible. I thought the lack of “diversity” in what I thought was the barnacle like growth was strange.

4. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Interesting. The color on the bottom looks like good old terra cotta like plant pots are made from. The thin lines 'sweeping' across the bottom also make me think of a more contemporary manufactured item... That's all I got.

5. J Dagger

I had that same thought when I saw the lines. Then I realized I didn’t really know if they were truly an indicator of age or not. I do see that too though.

LauraGarnet02 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

To the inside of the hole there is breakthrough and rough clay on the exit into the bottle - so that hole was made before it was fired, not drilled later.

7. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

What looks like accretions from being in the sea looks to me more like it was just made that way. I don't think it spent any time in the ocean.

J Dagger and Pat Dennis like this.
  8. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

I am with the others. Not from a shipwreck. The white mottling kooks are nothing like barnacles. If it were barnacles the bottom would have some white mottling and a partial side clean. I have never seen anything found on a shipwreck have any symmetry. Throw a bottle & see how many times it lands on its bottom. Never!

J Dagger likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted