SHIRLEY TEMPLE(?) DOLL w/NO MARKINGS WORTH BUYING?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, May 28, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This was put out today at a local thrift store I go to everyday. It may not even be there tomorrow but I wanted to check here in case it is - is it worth buying for $29.99?
    I believe it's Shirley Temple but it has NO markings anywhere that I could find (back of head & neck, shoulders, lower back) - does anyone recognize it or is it a copy?
    Is it valuable?
    PS - I know there's just the one photo, I apologize; my phone was full & that's all it would let me take!
    PSS - Eyes stay open - they doesn't close/move
    Thanks guys

TOY A A doll shirley temple 1A.jpg

Jaena and Rayo56 like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

She's pretty!

All official Shirley's were made by Ideal and are marked as such. Others are considered wannabees.

I can't tell if she is vinyl or bisque....but I guess it doesn't actually matter.

Originals were compo.

Check out completed Shirley's on ebay to get an idea of what's available.

Figtree3, Jaena, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I do know the real ST composition dolls by IDEAL had the info embossed on the back. Usually "SHIRLEY TEMPLE" and the size (height) of the doll. There were alot of knock offs made also.

Oooops, sorry Judy - I guess you posted just before me - LOL!

Jaena, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The more the merrier!!:cat:

Jaena and i need help like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

upload_2019-5-28_17-48-26.png

I have my mother's ST doll & this looks more like it than many others I've seen, except for those rouged knees. Strikes me as a knock off, but an earlier, better knock off than later ones. Would like to see her undies.

Jaena, KikoBlueEyes and i need help like this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Unless it's marked Ideal on the back, it's not the real deal.

Ideal did make later Shirleys of vinyl.

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I have an early compo one myself.

She is not in the best of condition. She does wear her original dress though.

At one time I could've gotten quite a bit for her.....now not so much, but how much I don't know. I haven't checked them out lately.

I also have the 36" that I paid $200 for.....I'd be lucky to get $50 today.

She is vinyl.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Jaena, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Jaena, Bronwen and judy like this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

10. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

She is bisque? (not vinyl)

11. Bronwen

From the $2,200 realized, I'd say bidders thought she was the real Ideal deal.

judy likes this.
  12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

No, not if they were knowledgeable collectors. And it's very plainly stated that it's a lookalike.

The doll Journey is concerned about looks just like Shirley Temple. To some people, they wouldn't care if it was by Ideal or not. They would buy it for who she is.

But a true collector knows the difference.

Rayo56 and Bronwen like this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I thought she could be bisque, but it's difficult to tell by the photo. It really doesn't matter though.

She is a very pretty doll.

But, you would be buying for resale, so I say check out the completeds on eBay.

I myself would NOT buy her....especially for resale.

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Are you asking about the one in the auction, which is 'composition'?

Mine is composition, wearing the Stand Up & Cheer dress. I also have a red wool matching hat & coat set for her I think were home made.

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a picture of her if you should ever get the chance.

Look to see if she is marked on the back of her neck or upper body.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I believe Journey was stating that the doll of his interest is bisque, as I said in my first post it was difficult to tell bisque vs vinyl from the photo.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Bronwen

It's confusing: human hair & lashes; sleep eyes; composition; 15 inches; 1935; no explicit statement that it is not marked Ideal. The $2,200 certainly put the + on their estimate of $300+. It differs from the one I have in having only 2 teeth; mine has a smile-ful. At least 2 bidders saw something in it that was different from auction house assessment. Maybe it's this younger 2-teeth version that is special. Shirley was already in little films before she was 5.

18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The doll was purchased on its own merit. It's beautiful, dressed well and the compo appears to be very nice. The plus is that she resembles Shirley Temple.

The other plus is that it was sold at Theriault's. I looked to see if there was a date of the auction, but could not find one......important data.

If this auction was several years ago, compos of this quality commanded a great price. And people do get caught up in auctions.

I don't believe the number of teeth bears any importance.

You can easily tell if your doll is an Ideal or not, by looking. Perhaps she is not handy to take a look at the moment.

I know mine is not. (handy)

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  19. Bronwen

Nor mine. She is on a stand in her own display case atop the display cabinet. I have never undressed her. My mother told me that, as a girl, she envied Shirley for her ability to cry at will. I also have a much read book she had, Shirley Temple's Favorite Poems, copyright 1936. I see there are still lots of copies out there, but it's sweet to have it with the doll.

judy likes this.
  20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Good night all!

Houseful and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted