Featured Shoe horn, Navajo or am I way off here?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Nov 3, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Picked this up at a sale the other day. Either someone changed their minds and put it back or they found it during the sale because it wasn’t there when I walked in 5-10 mins after show time. No marks that I see. Certainly appears to be silver. Looks more coin silver than sterling but who knows. Not too sure my eyes could actually perceive 2.5% in an unmarked test of two identical objects. Looks like it was used heavily which is neat. I’m thinking Navajo here but maybe I’m way off. I hate that anything NA and old is called “Fred Harvey era” on the Bay but would this fall into that “era“? Pretty happy with this grab. AFB7D29C-F7F6-41F7-B945-9BAD9AD5E4AD.jpeg AFB7D29C-F7F6-41F7-B945-9BAD9AD5E4AD.jpeg BB9A379A-0408-493E-B97B-ECA8A2DC6616.jpeg 3B8422AD-1D7C-4001-8DD1-8B28607A5910.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think it is older, could be late 19th century. Nice find.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hm, now I know something about Fred Harvey after using that phrase as a search.

I know nothing about these, but am sure that somebody will. It does look old to me, as AJ said.

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I know photos can be very deceiving at times. . .to me the bottom edge where your heel would go looks like it has a slight lip, making it a very uncomfortable edge to have on a shoe horn.

Looks like a spoon rest to me.

Dimensions please?

J Dagger, komokwa and ulilwitch like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Polish that poor puppy :)

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Absolutely POLISH it. You might actually find the mark.

If it is a shoe horn instead of a spoon rest, I would guess 1940s - 60s. Everyone had shoe horns then.
    Spoon rests became popular in the late 70s.

J Dagger, Aquitaine and ulilwitch like this.
  7. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

I can't tell if the edges of the handle are slightly lipped but could it be a cigar holder/ashtray?

J Dagger likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my Birks sugar spoon has that lip......
    so I'll come down on the side of spoon.....
    and it's HOW big ??????????????

J Dagger likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Personally, until it's polished, it's hard to see what lip on which side you all are talking about......to meeeee!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::smuggrin::smuggrin: Shoe horn/spoon.....LOVE it just the same!!! And like Cluttered said, a siggy MAY show, once polished!!

komokwa, J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

To my eyes the first two pictures are of the back (orientation of the handle). So looking at the 3rd picture, I'm seeing a definite 'lip' on the bottom edge. . .so a spoon rest, a spoon, a pipe rest or? Without a size given or better pics after polishing it up those would be my guesses.

komokwa and J Dagger like this.
  11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like a Navajo shoehorn to me, would guess around 1920-'40s, .900 fineness would be typical, but could be sterling - measurements would be nice (really, should always be given), the shoehorns usually run about 4"-6"...

~Cheryl

J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  12. J Dagger

5A3F98ED-E595-4EAC-9B0F-8AD516C9C6B7.jpeg F945440A-1638-499A-872B-2074860B0309.jpeg C35FF023-278F-4FF2-9830-278E4CA25131.jpeg 9D276610-4450-4D4B-9F5B-4E6716C96FA7.jpeg 9A2ADE1D-D62C-4796-B322-9066763BD1B4.jpeg Thanks for all the replies. I didn’t foresee a debate on what the item actually was. My assumption was based on a few things. One the general shape looks like a shoe horn. Two the hole in the top, many short shoe horns have a string/strap to retrieve them. Three the back where your finger would naturally rest and slide when using it as a shoe horn is heavily worn. The “bowl” where your heel would impact is worn heavily. Four the “bowl” where your heel would rest and slide down is misshapen pretty badly, presumably from weight and pressure repeatedly bending the silver. Even if not intended to be a shoe horn to my eye it seems to have been used as one. I can see the other options being a possibility too though. I wish I knew where in the home it was found, maybe that would give a clue.

I love it how it is and don’t plan to polish it. Call me crazy but I enjoy the tarnish on many silver objects. Unless it’s totally black I leave as is. If I buy an object that’s polished I enjoy that too but don’t mind the tarnish. I checked pretty carefully and don’t think there’s a hidden siggy. If it was there I think it’s worn off by now.

I guess no one is questioning the Navajo attribution?

Edit: 1.75” across widest spot

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well I was waiting for a couple of members here to state categorically that
    " unless it's signed , anyone with a set of silver punches could have made it..."

but I'm of the mind that it's most likely Navajo and made for personal use...
    and yes...now that I see it.....a shoe horn !

14. J Dagger

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I’m really glad the sale runner didn’t realize what this was other than that it was likely silver. Was able to take it home for $20.

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with komo. And I really like your shoe horn.:)
    And then I would have gotten on my old NA silver soapbox again.:playful:
    Maybe that is why no one said it. (oh no, not her and her soapbox, not again:rolleyes:)

Figtree3, DragonflyWink and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted