Shot in the Dark (CDV Photo ID)

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, May 10, 2015.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello all!

Hope you are enjoying the weather (if you are from New England), staying safe if elsewhere in the country / World! :)

This is a long shot post, but figured what the heck.

This CDV I've had for quite some time now, and I have not done anything with it because for some reason the boy/young man looks familiar.

He's a dapper young gent, and unfortunately with no photographer, location or writing on the CDV I have no way of even starting to look. He just looks really familiar. Like I have seen him in a book.

Was hoping maybe someone may recognize him!
    It's a long shot, but here goes nothing ;)

Thanks as always!
    Scantic IMG_7907.JPG IMG_7906.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

No clue but he is a dapper nice looking young man who appears relaxed. Not the norm I see. Usually subjects seem to be not nice looking people but the 'no smile' mentality must not help their looks at all. :facepalm:

3. ScanticAntiques

It's true, he just has this "swagger" about him. He looks pretty confident, and is a handsome fellow. I may be totally off base and he's just one of the million victorian men out there, but his face just reminded me of someone lol

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Not familiar to me, but I think that he is very good looking.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I still find it weird that these photo's make hands look the size of baseball gloves....or maybe this youth is actually 6 foot 8........???

look at the shoes !!!

6. ScanticAntiques

He does have one hand sorta clinched in a fist. Also his feet do look narrow and long. Weird :)

7. ScanticAntiques

He is handsome, and so well composed!

8. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

At first glance, he reminds me of Joaquin Phoenix, the actor.
    His right hand looks huge compared to his left hand. Is he holding his right hand in a loose fist, or has he lost his fingers at the second knuckles?

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  9. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Ha! We were thinking along the same lines and typing at the same time!

ScanticAntiques and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the kid must be 7 feet tall.....

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think it is partly the angle at which the photos are being taken. We are seeing most of these from the bottom, looking upward. Things at the bottom look larger because they are closer to the camera. That is not to say that he might not have big hands and feet, but the perspective is off so it's hard to tell.

silverthwait and ScanticAntiques like this.
  12. ScanticAntiques

He looks like he could have been in a modern day boy band lol

13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

As Fig said, the perspective is off. But in addition, the young man has long legs and is long-waisted, but his his face is more delicate.

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

He looks very tall to me, too. I agree with Fig that anything closer to the camera would look disproportionately large and it looks like this shot was taken from below.

It could be that lenses in those days were more likely to do this, too.

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks a little bit like Philip Alford, who played Jem in the movie To Kill a Mockingbird.

16. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Big Bad John before he became a miner.

"And a crashin' blow from a huge right hand..."

"...and narrow at the hip."

Gotta be him!

Last edited: May 10, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted