Featured SHOULD I BUY IVORY STATUE

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Reeves, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

Hi guys I wondering if I should by this statue or not it’s 9” tall. I took a screenshot on my phone. Do you think it’s old enough to legally own, and is there any value there 49BC7853-BF10-4F83-84AF-81A065501D76.jpeg 5D1B80EB-5A1C-41C7-8202-795FEAC53FF6.jpeg 7988318F-6548-46B6-B2E0-2AD01F902495.jpeg 4C718A6F-7992-4558-A929-0F7D9B583938.jpeg

2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I guess you would have to check with the seller for proof of age as you would need that if you planned to resell. In fact the seller needs proof of age in order to sell it. .. Joy.

kyratango, judy, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a beautiful okimono, good quality, but I agree with Joy. And even proof of age could be worthless at some stage in the future, we don't know what the regulations will be.
    There is also considerable damage, and damage is never good for the value.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    judy, aaroncab, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Personally, unless you REALLY love it and plan to keep it, with that much damage to the base, I would pass on buying it. That's NOT just a wee chip!! You might not do too well selling it....let alone the issue of it being ivory and all that could entail!!!

patd8643, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd buy it if the price was right. The legality of it all depends on your local laws, it is probably best to assume you may be buying it to keep, not to resell. I cannot see any damage that would deter me but I am pretty tolerant of minor damage. A lot depends on what the asking price is.

Bearing in mind the general mess the laws about ivory has created, prices are well down on what they would have been 5 years ago, and it is a buyer's market, sellers may be selling while they can.

My answer assumes it really is ivory and not some other material.

judy likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The laws I'm acquainted with (US), say nothing about the legality of owning, inheriting, or donating/giving, only about the lawfulness of selling, as well as of importing/exporting. US federal law applies to international & interstate commerce; not sure whether or not all states have now also regulated intrastate sales too. It is legal to trade in antique ivory, if you can document the item qualifies as antique. As afantiques said:
    Taking into account laws, price, condition & appeal, only you can decide if the purchase is right for you.

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

With the damage, and the laws headed the way they are I'd hesitate. I did buy some ivory at a rummage sale this weekend, but I'm into that for a whole 50cents - about 35p to you Brits. I can't sell it, but it'll make a heckuva Christmas gift for a friend who's into all things Japanese.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Like everybody noted - who knows what is coming with Ivory laws - I'd be on the side of people wanting (and getting) to ban ALL Ivory sales. I will say I'm not against the total ban as that would stop the poaching of Elephants, Whales and Rinos , ( I may have missed some).

Damage and uncertainty would cause me to pass!

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  9. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

I'd pass as well, damaged items are a beach to get stuck with! :D

10. Jerry Elbert

Jerry Elbert Member

I tried to sell an Alaskan etched ivory cribbage board on eBay and was shut down after a few days. I was ignorant of the law. Bidding was just getting started and they must have been tipped off by that. Anybody want to play?

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted