Should I buy these 1940s Fashion Designer sketches?

Discussion in 'Art' started by benbenny007, Sep 19, 2018.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Should I buy these 1940s Fashion Designer sketches?

Never heard of her. Than again I'm not at all into fashion.

They are asking £100 GBP for them?

Worth investing or not?

20180918_155202.jpg

20180918_155212.jpg

2. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy them ... nope.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm wary of that attribution. Never heard of her, can't find any references. I'd gamble twenty but no more.

Christmasjoy and benbenny007 like this.
  4. benbenny007

my thoughts

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

deleted

benbenny007 likes this.
  6. benbenny007

Same here. I also had no hits.
    no go than.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you show close up of signature.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think the date's wrong; those don't appear to be fashion sketches from 1949. Unless they can be connected to a well-known designer, a movie or actress (and even then,) think £100 is wishful.

Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What would be really helpful is if you could post the wording next to each sketch.

Debora

10. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. Ownedbybear

That short dress is fine for Britain in the late 40s. A utility shape at the time when we still had serious fabric rationing and controls on what could be made. I've contemporaneous photos of my mama wearing similar. The one with the fur cape is OK, too.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

May have been worn in the late 40s but not a post-World War II silhouette. Seriously out of fashion with Dior's introduction of the New Look in 1947. The dress with fur cape appears to be a bias cut evening gown from the 1930s.

Debora

14. benbenny007

What a lot of knowledge here. Thx all. I can save some money now.

15. Ownedbybear

Bit different here from the US. The Board of Trade prohibited fashions with excess fabric such as New Look and it was considered unpatriotic, too. The wide skirt thing didn't really get traction in mass fashion until after 1950. Ma was an actress,so lucky enough to have designers make stuff for her. I've a photo of her at my godfather's wedding in about 1950 wearing a very similar shape to that day dress, and it was a fairly new dress. If you google on our sewing patterns at the time you'll find plenty of examples. Or magazines for that matter.

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thought this interesting. Hardy Amies response to Dior. 1947.

Debora

Hardy_Amies_1947.jpg

komokwa and bluumz like this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Yup. That was expensive high fashion and is much toned down from New Look. It was also unavailable to your everyday woman in the street, or even wealthy ones - clothes rationing didn't end here till 1949. This, with all that fabric would have been a vast amount of coupons, perhaps a couple of years worth. More "standard" designs were very pared down, like that day dress. If you've not come across it, google on utility clothing, it's fascinating. (As an aside, my ma had a dance rehearsal set made from dusters!)

People like Hardy Amies were making for export. We were desperate for foreign currency, being nigh on bankrupt as a nation. So many goods which ended up across the pond were simply not ever sold here.

As another aside, I found a US scholarly reference which said women's trousers weren't popular till the 40s. This is not true of here. ;)

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted