Featured Should I Buy These Perfume Bottles?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Nathan Lindop, May 1, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

I’ve seen these on sale locally and I am unsure if they are what they say. I haven’t seen any like this, then again I’m not too well rehearsed in Perfume bottles.

The seller calls them Perfume bottles. Is that correct?

And are they worth me buying as the bases don’t look too old. I just need a little help here knowing what I’m looking at because I think I like them but not sure yet.

Thanks for the help :pompous:

AEB2C4DD-58E4-4CB7-885A-FD0402D55E3C.jpeg 275D76F2-C90E-48AC-99ED-D51EA9088729.jpeg B6DA0A9F-B971-455E-BBDD-F24F2CE8ACFE.jpeg FF3F7D7A-E581-4006-8A3D-1E06C325A7D7.jpeg 3C51FAF9-2C2F-48E1-88D5-D148B430B83E.jpeg B4804465-9516-499D-AFB6-3A4C29E46511.jpeg 58DC3799-8D27-4F59-8D8C-47C2EFED25A3.jpeg B1807D27-5992-492A-9BC5-9344C6F9F47E.jpeg

Christmasjoy, AJefferson and judy like this.
  2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Do some of them have the metal decoration on the inside?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

These were popular in the 1970's (maybe even 60's) through the 1980's. There was a full line of dresser accessories such as these cologne/perfume bottles, dresser boxes, picture frames, matching mirrored trays etc. etc.. The small vials inside the bottles held a glass tube for the perfume and there was usually a glass wand attached to the stopper to apply the fragrance. I have found the most desirable ones are those with peach colored glass or the ones with flowers or cherubs within the glass body of the decanter.
    For comparison sake, you might be able to research using "filigree perfume bottle" as a search tool.
    They are a popular item that sells quickly in my area, I would consider them a very lucky find even though they are not antique.

4. Nathan Lindop

I haven’t seen them, these are the only pictures I have. Sorry

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

“And are they worth me buying...”

No idea how anyone would answer that without knowing the price. If the group is $10., sure buy ‘em. If $1000., I’d do a little more research before deciding.

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The one with the tassels on the top of the box, sometimes is known as a jewelry casket. People still buy them from time to time.

7. Nathan Lindop

£25 so like $35 . Looks to me as if on UK eBay they’re worth a little over that each.
    Thanks for the help, I found tons of then online now :happy:

Any Jewelry, pearlsnblume and Sandra like this.
  8. Nathan Lindop

Can’t really go wrong with these the seller bought them from antique fairs over the years so there is a chance one may be older or signed. I’ll roll with it.

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Sandra gave such a great description (I learned something here, too!).

And Nathan, sounds like you are finding many online. Wasn't sure if you meant US $35 for all or per piece? If for all, yes go for it.

I would only add the word "ormolu", as a search word.

I do think that condition is important with these. Whether the finished is dulled, etc. So maybe in your research of "Sold" items be sure you are comparing apples and apples and do a careful comparison of how condition impacts value. Maybe it is just the photo, but some of them to my eye looked kind of dulled. I could be dead wrong on that, but maybe something to check.

Still, if the whole lot is the equivalent of USD $35, I would jump on it. I think there is money to be made.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  10. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

The finish may be gone on the round stopper, 3rd picture down, but for the others, it's probably just accumulated dust. I would take a very, very slightly dampened soft toothbrush and give them a brisk scrub. If moisture penetrates the walls, it's very difficult to remove and if left to dry on it's own, causes water spots on the glass. When moisture has seeped in for me, I have used a vacuum to draw the drops out. To polish the glass exterior, better to spray a paper towel with glass cleaner rather than the piece itself.
    Household Hints from Sandra...:arghh:, I should be working on my own stash...

Figtree3, cxgirl, judy and 6 others like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Household Hints from Sandra much appreciated! :)

Sandra and judy like this.
  12. Nathan Lindop

Nice one Sandra :happy:

Shame I won’t get to use the tips. I can’t arrange pick up the seller won’t post or deliver by car. And I don’t have a car. Darn

judy likes this.
  13. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Sorry you missed out Nathan, too bad we're an ocean apart, I would have been happy to help.

judy likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I’ve seen these on sale locally,,,

& the seller won't help make the sale.. ???

Is the seller in a cave ?

judy likes this.
  15. Nathan Lindop

It’s a 20 minutes drive to mine, I offered to pay postage xD . They’re just a person who can’t be bothered. If they sold them separately they’re a guaranteed $40 each in the UK.
    Even modern and in worn condition.

Some people are jus plain crazy.

komokwa, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nathan, where are you? If you're buying them from someone in London I may be able to help.

judy likes this.
  17. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Do you all have Uber? They could pick up and deliver.
    Patd

judy likes this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& pick up a snack along the way too !!!!:happy::happy:

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted