Featured Should I wear this ring? Eastern star?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by spartcom5, Oct 28, 2017.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Picked this up today for $65. 14k gold onyx and a diamond just under .1ct it's an old European cut. I love the ring but as I understand it's usually frowned upon to wear a masonic or eastern star ring if you aren't part of the organization. I don't really care too much but wanted to get everyone's opinion on the matter? The star is worn down so much to the point where it could just be a gold star. Needs a good cleaning as well. So thoughts?
    20171027_220407_resized.jpg 20171027_220415_resized.jpg 20171027_220433_resized.jpg 20171027_220452_resized.jpg 20171027_220538_resized.jpg

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Beautiful and well loved!
    I'd wear it, as you said the star is so worn it is barely identifiable:cyclops:
    I don't know if Masonic people agree:rolleyes:

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wear it, enjoy it, and stay away from anyone with a Masonic connection.;)
    The star is an Eastern Star symbol. If you wear it a lot, the enamel in the centre will wear off even more, and it will just be a star on a very nice ring.
    A bargain, by the way.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wear it.....but be prepared to answer questions.

5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Hmmmm...I wouldn't wear it.
    But if you really want to, then wear it and play dumb.

scoutshouse, judy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I know someone in the organization. Just sent her a nice vintage hankie.
    :)
    I have 4-5 other things I may group on eBidet.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id just take the star off and replace it with something else.

scoutshouse, judy, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

IMO, if you love it, wear it and enjoy it. Like so many fraternal organizations, Eastern Star has a declining membership, with only half a million members worldwide. On the rare occasion when do you meet someone who mentions your vintage ring, you can explain and -- if necessary -- apologize. But unless you're attempting to pass yourself off as an Eastern Star member with all the benefits thereof, can't imagine that anyone would be offended.

Debora

9. spartcom5

Someone actually told me in person to look at it as if it was a gold star and a moon and the onyx is outerspace. Kinda cool to be honest haha. Im just going to wear as is, tge diamond dazzles like crazy and honestly i doubt anyone will know, theyll just think it a very old ring

scoutshouse, judy and KingofThings like this.
  10. komokwa

11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The chart only applies to brilliant cut round diamonds,it does not apply to the OP's since it is not a round brilliant.

12. komokwa

Ya...I know that...I was just throwing it out there...........:meh:

13. Any Jewelry

Throw some of those my way, I don't mind.:D

14. Rhondajean

Rhondajean New Member

Love it! I'd say wear it if you love it and feign ignorance if someone ever gets on your case. As you and others mentioned, the star is so worn you can't really tell it's a Masonic ring.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  15. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

It also only applies to ideal cut stones, ie proper dimensions. Actually few stones are cut to these standards.

judy likes this.
  16. komokwa

well then , I'm terribly sorry for posting it.....................
    Please everyone...IGNORE the pretty diamond size chart as it only applies to perfect stones that you'll never in your life be fortunate enough to own !!!!

Again....I'm so terribly sorry for leading everyone astray with false information !!!

:blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::eggface::eggface::eggface::eggface::eggface::eggface::eggface:..................................................................:meh:

17. spartcom5

How do you measure the carat of European cut stones? Say according to the chart mine measures to .1ct would mine bigger than that because of the cut?

judy and KingofThings like this.
  18. komokwa

carat = weight
    100 points = 1 carat

& now I must recuse myself...:(

Aquitaine, judy and KingofThings like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

For a lay person there is no way of appraising old European cut diamonds. You can't convert the carat chart of a very precise cut, like perfectly cut brilliant diamonds, to judge diamonds of a very different and less precise cut. You'd have to take the ring to a professional diamond appraiser who knows old cut diamonds. The knowledge of old cut diamonds is important, because they are rare, the value of old cut is often more than just the 4Cs.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  20. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You know the very old saying: Diamonds are a girl's BEST friend...and I need LOTS of friends!!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted