Siam amearco earrings set vintage

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Mugzinnys, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

20180909_205521.jpg 20180909_205524.jpg 20180909_205609.jpg 20180909_205428.jpg These earrings are 1 and 1/2 in x 1/2 in.
    Most of my Google searches I end up with sterling sterling sterling but these don't appear to be Sterling what material do you think they are?

I know very little about Jerry all information would be appreciated.

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Try Japanese Shakudo Damascene search

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

They are not Japanese damascene and definitely do not appear to be shakudo.Photos too dark to see details,but they might be real/faux Siam niello .

Jivvy, judy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Thanks @Hollyblue
    @ineedhelp

Can we only tag one person at a time?

judy and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Use the drop down, I have spaces in between words. You get the drop down after typing @ + 3 or 4 letters. Give it a test.

judy and kyratango like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Thai/Siamese Niello with a temple dancer as decoration. A common theme. With those screw fittings a bit older, probably 1940s ish.

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, classic Siam (Thailand) niello, which is the name of the black part that looks like enamel.
    The figure with the sparks from her hand is Manimekhala, the Goddess of lightning and the sea, a very popular image.

Christmasjoy, Jivvy and judy like this.
  9. Mugzinnys

I was about to comment on the age because the link referred to soldiers bringing home jewelry to their girlfriends after Vietnam more like after World War ll. The Siam name change occurring around 1939 to Thailand.

No Sterling here I wish it was gold but it's probably brass, any comment on the metal materials would be appreciated? Here are some better images with natural light rather than fluorescent light.
    Thanks Everyone 20180910_164720.jpg 20180910_164720.jpg 20180910_164720.jpg 20180910_164731.jpg 20180910_164646.jpg 20180910_164422.jpg 20180910_164359.jpg 20180910_161618.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup. Some is still stamped Siam: it's seen as more romantic, if that makes sense. It's unlikely to be brass, probably tarnished.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

amFarco. Their sterling often tarnishes with shades that you don't see from other places.

13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

No one can tell what the metal is from a photo, you need to have it tested to find out if it is, or is not, sterling :(

14. Mugzinnys

Thanks Hollyblue for that link about the age discrepancy., obb Siam is definitely more romantic sounding than Thailand.terry5732 thanks for the amFarco correction will search under that name. Marie Forjan I always thought of Sterling as sterling silver now that I know about the term tarnish Sterling holding it in my hand it looks just like tarnish Sterling.
    Thanks everyone for contributing to the Siam Nielloware lesson 101.

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To add to the confusion, some Siam sterling is not sterling (.925) but a lower grade silver, like .800. So silver content, yes, but sterling silver, no.

16. Mugzinnys

Thanks AJ good point

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Mugzinnys

Draft saved Draft deleted