Side by side secretary bookcase

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by PRosneck, Jan 24, 2022.

1. PRosneck

PRosneck New Member

7B310526-A3DC-441A-9E5A-FB329169E4DF.jpeg F422531F-66DB-4737-803D-4A689D60CEE3.jpeg 1562DD3A-7A18-4F7F-A36B-5F4CEDF40F3E.jpeg Any help on placing a value on this piece will be greatly appreciated. I will have better quality pics next wk when we bring it home from my parents’ house.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    FishLure and judy like this.
  2. PRosneck

PRosneck New Member

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

1880s or so Victorian. No idea what to call the design, but it was in all the bedrooms for a while.

PRosneck likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I used to know but have forgotten the name for this arrangement.

judy, johnnycb09 and PRosneck like this.
  5. PRosneck

PRosneck New Member

Any idea on how we should price it?

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

$ 175 for a quick sale !

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Called a side-by-side. This one looks like it's faced in mahogany with a mixture of neo-Renaissance and Art Nouveau elements. Guessing ca. 1895-1905.

Despite their solid appearance these were less than $100 until recently, and quite a few of the less ornate examples were giveaways.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

VERY tough to enlarge with SUCH A TINY image.....program loses SO much definition..........

1562DD3A-7A18-4F7F-A36B-5F4CEDF40F3E-standard-scale-4_00x-.jpg

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can see the design being very useful in a small apartment, but the "artistic" part of it wouldn't endear it to many people.

judy likes this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Also,to add to what the others said,it was mass produced so theres like a zillion out there. I keep hearing the market for this kind of thing is slowly changing,but darned if I see it happening. Here in N. FL you'd be lucky to see $100.That all being said,I love it and would gladly house it.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  11. Bakersgma

I am pretty sure there is another name for this style. Maybe it was British?

judy likes this.
  12. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Indeed, in every antique mall in America you see this form, it must have been VERY popular in its day.
    A combo display cabinet/ writing desk, I notice OP cabinet has Chippendale ogee bracket feet, a nice touch!:happy:

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Ghopper is spot-on with date and description. I like the $175.00 as a starting point for sale but you may need to come down. Hard to tell for sure from these pics but the finish on this looks like it needs some sprucing or to be refinished to think about getting more.

Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  14. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Not British, but definitely American. Most commonly called a “Larkin desk”, named after the soap company that gave them for free when you bought enough of their soap. Pics suck so can’t even tell what kind of wood this is, but if oak not mahogany more likely to be from that company. Though other companies made this same popular style in the very late 19th and early 20th century. Look for a label inside or on back, but labels fall off. More info on Larkin desk by searching here on board or google. Here’s a description of this exact form:

“One of the most popular items in Larkin’s inventory was the drop front combination bookcase/desk. Variations included a glass front case with a drop front desk attached to the side, two glass front cases with a desk in the middle or simply a drop front desk with a small open bookcase below the drop and candle stands above it, with a mirror in the high splashboard.”
    https://www.worthpoint.com/articles/collectibles/everymans-desk-history-of-the-larkin-desk

johnnycb09 likes this.
  15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Larkin definitely had side-by-sides but the ubiquitous Larkin Desk is a single drop-front. Like this.

[​IMG]

You had to buy a lot more soap to get a side-by-side than you did for these. If you google Larkin Desk, most of what you will see is the single drop-front.

Jeff Drum and Bakersgma like this.
  16. Bakersgma

I was not suggesting that this particular side by side was British. But it's possible that the name I was unable to drag up from my memory bank was a British term.

17. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

True, a lot of soap, $20 worth in 1910 in this Larkin catalogue. But as Larkin was the first to exploit (like Netflix et al today), an expendable product that constantly needs to be repurchased builds brand loyalty and makes for massive sales.

For anyone interested in going down this rabbit hole, I found their online catalogue from 1910 quite interesting. Not just desks and not just furniture by a long shot. And useful in the same way as the early 20th century catalogue reprints from Sears, to see how most of America was furnishing their houses. https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-collections/artifact/494951

johnnycb09, Born2it and verybrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted