Sideboard / buffet identification

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bobertw, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Bobertw

Bobertw New Member

Hi guy. New to this forum and just getting into antique furniture. I was hoping for help id'ing this piece as far as time period and possible manufacturer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Some info I looked up make me think American empire age but im not certain. There is a label on the back (see pic) but it is very worn and can't read clearly. Once part looks like it says manufacturer of sideboards and buffets. Thanks. Can post more pics if that would help. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the boards. Next time use the full image to get this, rather than the small pictures that have to be clicked. Easier for people to see.
    upload_2017-6-28_23-15-20.jpeg

I would put the time period to early 1900s. Probably about 1910-20.
    Falls into the American Oak period, although I can't tell from your picture if it is actually oak, or painted to look like oak. May have had a mirror that was attached, or hung above.

Wait for other comments.

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Bob! Sure looks like quartersawn oak on the drawer fronts and the "frame" of the right-hand cabinet door, particularly. Could be veneer.

Are there castors under the feet?

4. Bobertw

Bobertw New Member

Thanks. Yes there are metal casters under the feet. Also not sure if it all has veneer but at least the top of it does cause a lot of it was missing or peeled off.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm sure our resident American furniture guy @verybrad will have some very useful comments and information for you. He may want some additional pictures - like the back. But wait for him to comment before you go to the bother of taking more than you already have.

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Clutteredcloset is right on as to date. This is Empire revival furniture, not to be confused with early 19th century Empire period furniture. Agree that this is likely missing a mirror with shelf. Here is a similar complete one.

[​IMG]

7. Bobertw

Bobertw New Member

Nice! Really appreciate the info. I wish I had the mirror and shelf with it but ill clean this one up a bit should still be a nice piece. Thanks!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Look around you might find a mirror with a shelf to match. I have seen a lot of the mirror and shelf sets for sale.
    greg

9. Bobertw

Bobertw New Member

True you're right. Ill have to check it out. It wouldn't hurt to spend a little on it. Someone had this one out for garbage so a few bucks to make it nice is worth it.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

.... and that is the status of antique furniture these days. Few people care much about it any more. :(

komokwa likes this.
  11. Annpan

Annpan Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

It seems in the UK we are finally getting a turn around away from painted and back to wood and antique and vintage pieces. The interiors magazines are using room sets with more antique pieces mixed in. Early days but fashion goes in cycles and I think we are starting to see a come back. X

UKSteve likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I do hope so.

That would sit well in an Arts and Crafts home here.

Draft saved Draft deleted