Sideboard / Buffet Identification

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MyAntiquersName, Nov 14, 2018.

1. MyAntiquersName

MyAntiquersName Active Member

Hi - I am starting to sell things from an estate I inherited. I'm going to try to do this on my own. Can anyone tell me what kind of sideboard I have? As much as you can tell me would be appreciated. There wasn't much room around the sideboard where it is now, but I will be able to post a better picture soon. I also have detailed shots but I'll wait to see the responses first.
    Thank you! front DSC_0402 v8 reduced 50p plus 25p.png

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Better pics would go a long way ! Offhand Id say its a 1940s-50s pine sideboard,but again its really hard to see .

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Don't think pine. May be cherry or maple but can't tell from this pic. Really need more detailed pics, including back and drawer construction. Dimensions would also help. Any history you have about it and where it came from to you is important.

Christmasjoy, judy, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  4. MyAntiquersName

front DSC_0404 edited v2 reduced to 40p.png

Attached Files:

5. MyAntiquersName

It's a polished, clean sideboard (will improve pictures later). The dimensions are 59 5/8" x 20 1/4" x 40 1/4". Inside of drawers are clean, no obvious handmade joints. It was owned by the family for over 50 years, I believe. (The surface in the picture may look a little grainier because I tried to correct the color. My camera intensifies red and I was trying to make it a little more yellow.)

Thanks!

Christmasjoy, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's hard to see anything in this picture, but I have a sinking feeling this is upcycler bait unless you have that missing handle. That "skirt" on the bottom has me thinking early 50s maple. Odds are Brad will know more about it than I do, but those 50s rock maple pieces (if it's maple) don't tend to sell for much if you can move them at all.

7. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, agree with all above. It's got a Sheraton skirt, Hepplewhite legs and Federal pulls so, whatever style you like, this piece has it covered!
    Does look like mid 20th century maple colonial/americana type furniture to me too.

8. MyAntiquersName

Thanks so much, everyone! There's a good chance I have the missing handle as we save everything! I'll try to post better pictures soon.

9. James Conrad

Even if you paint it, no go huh?

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

After you paint it maybe, if done well. Done badly, no dice.

11. James Conrad

lol, OF COURSE! it's going to be painted well!

12. James Conrad

What this country needs is, some gifted furniture painters! Back in the day, before paint came in cans, paint was mixed from dry pigments & some sort of binder by hand and painting was a trade all by itself. As soon as they started putting it in cans ready to use, EVERYBODY became a painter & "painted well" went nite nite as well.:inpain:

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Pardon me , MAN....but you have that ass backwards....

"I also have detailed shots but I'll wait to see the responses first."

Put forward your best photos first......always.
    Poor shots will elicit more comments about the photos , than help on what the item is !!!
    Help us...to help you ! ;):)

judy, i need help and silverthwait like this.
  14. James Conrad

Well Painted

Here is a blanket chest that sold recently and, if just plain wood, would struggle to reach $1000. at auction.
    As it is though, it was well painted with original brass pulls & sold for $18,700. Quite a difference.

painted chest.jpg

15. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Any ideas how they treat a piece like this to make the paint look so nice? I assume they didn't touch up the paint. But I have to believe it was well cleaned, and possible treated with something to make the paint look so bright - most 19th century paint takes on a dull look, as in the example below (pulled off the net). As it is I'm afraid to touch any of my painted pieces with anything since I don't want to ruin the paint.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    judy, i need help and James Conrad like this.
  16. James Conrad

Nice little wall cab. No, i really don't know how painters back in the day formulated their paint, i suspect it was different from painter to painter. Painted furniture came out right at the turn of the 18th century here, 1700 or so and for 150 years painters mixed their own paint. Things kinda went downhill quality wise from there though when they stated putting it in cans ready to use. Another critical factor is, those guys were real artists as opposed to ma & pa kettle buying a can of paint and giving it a go.

judy and i need help like this.
  17. Jeff Drum

Thanks, but that wasn't really my question. I don't think the chest you showed went to the auctioneer looking like that - I assume they had to hire someone to improve the appearance to prepare it for auction, since otherwise it is likely to have looked like the one I posted a picture of. Do you have any 19th century or earlier furniture with original paint - if so how do you maintain it? I'm afraid to touch mine.

judy and i need help like this.
  18. James Conrad

No, that is the original decoration, may have been some touch up where dings & stuff happened. Yes, earliest painted piece i have is a W & M blanket chest, 1710 or so, it has touch up too & coated with a varnish/shellac which i have been thinking about removing. I cleaned a small area where blue arrow is just to see how things would go a year or so ago. The bottom drawer area is quite grungy from that clear coat. Chest has it's original brass pulls, probably Hadley Mass area.

Inkedseymour (1)_LI.jpg

BoudiccaJones, judy and i need help like this.
  19. James Conrad

It came from the Seymour collection, who donated all his furniture to Connecticut Historical Society, i got it when it was deaccessioned from them. Got a book of all his stuff when museum cataloged his collection.
    Book says Guilford Conn as origin but i say that's wrong.

georgedud00conn_0052.jpg

BoudiccaJones and judy like this.
  20. Jeff Drum

I know the Pook piece has its original paint, but it isn't clear from the picture you posted of the Pook piece what they did to make it look so vibrant. If found in the wild, the paint would very likely look more like the piece I posted a picture of. So that is what I wonder - how do you care for an old piece of painted furniture to make the paint look as good as the Pook piece?

In the case of yours, you have a history so you know it has a varnish/shellac coating. The varnish protects the paint, so I guess you are able to clean yours with a damp cloth or even wax it the same as any other piece of varnished furniture. If you remove that varnish, though, then you'll have the same problem I have. Namely, how can I clean the painted pieces I have without damaging the paint. Do you have any pieces that have not been varnished - in which case how do you maintain them?

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted