Sig Help Post 80s? African Sculpture Print

Discussion in 'Art' started by reader, Mar 16, 2020.

1. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Hope one of you sleuths can decipher the signature. I’d love to know who the artist is. Approx 39.5” x 31.5” (without frame)

Absolutely no known history. Estate sale purchase. There is a chop on the lower right corner-a hand w dots. It’s just my kind of oddball funky bad art. TIA

54C1FF6E-D7A0-4EAA-821A-85B1E341C25B.jpeg 05D8B21A-B3ED-45C0-AC36-4D3EC4A62592.jpeg C300CD13-FF11-484E-93E6-B2D3B538611A.jpeg 019015C0-23BA-41BD-9A07-1ECB4511EC48.jpeg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Just curious but . . . have you tried looking for "Congo Dance" painting/print/art? ;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Def did...I’m a firm believer in not posting for help until I’ve tried to figure it out myself. Not saying that I didn’t miss it, but didn’t find anything.

I’ll probably also contact the big contemporary art printers to see if anyone can identify the chop but thought I’d start with trying to see if anyone could decipher the name.

I realize that this is not a contemporary art board but thought someone might be able to help with the name.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the chop mark could just be for the paper.....maybe...

reader likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Siggy E amont?
    The same as these hand prints maybe? It is one of a set of cards I bought in 1982 at the 'Museum of the American Indian' museum shop, when it was still in New York. I can't find the info, but if I remember correctly the artist was Iroquois.
    upload_2020-3-17_11-23-44.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Absolutely but I figured it was a place to start. TY

komokwa likes this.
  7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Wow AJ. That’s amazingly similar but not the same. Here’s a better picture of mine. Maybe the chop is the paper and not the printer but I doubt a NA artist would do a clearly African theme print. I am so curious about this piece and will start playing with your sig thoughts.

Any other ideas folks? 5F97E58C-5FC0-4DC8-A544-1CDDF328769C.jpeg

i need help likes this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Thought I’d see if any new eyes can decipher the name. Realized the chop is the paper as the piece is unique-I think it’s marker.

Any new sig sleuth ideas? TIA!

9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

B901C97C-7568-49F2-BB1E-C562620E09F5.jpeg @komokwa
    Do you remember the thread where you I.D. This costume? The OP had a figurine.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  10. i need help

11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

komokwa, Any Jewelry, reader and 2 others like this.
  12. i need help

komokwa and 2manybooks like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There's a first for everything.;)

komokwa and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted