Signature help, and how to keep frame and canvas from further damage?

Discussion in 'Art' started by AntiqueAnimals, Jan 21, 2020.

1. AntiqueAnimals

AntiqueAnimals Active Member

I love this painting and it's been in a garage for a while. I brought it inside to try and do some research on it. I love the frame also but I don't know if I can restore them, arrest the damage that's already been done, or even if it's worth my trouble.

Any info would be helpful. I think it says "Joeeloff" or "Joseloff" or some variation but I am not sure. Neither of those yield results. For all I know my husband's grandfather did it. I honestly have no idea!

I like the gold peeking through on the frame and I even like the cracking but I don't want it to crack off totally!

Does anyone have ideas?[​IMG]

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Anything on the back? Stickers? Labels? Handwritten notations?

Debora

3. AntiqueAnimals

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Is that your snowshoe Siamese cat in your avatar?

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think that's a decorative painting from the 1st half 20th century. Name appears to be Joseloff.

Debora

6. AntiqueAnimals

I am not sure how to quote the person I am replying to, forgive me if this makes little sense, we will see!

RE: the cat/avatar:

I wish! That's Grumpy Cat- RIP Grumpy Cat, you made your human parent's some $

When you say "decorative" does that mean it's like what we'd find at home goods vs a museum?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

No problem. You can call a member by using an @ then start typing their name and a drop down list will appear. To reply to a single post, then just hit reply on the right hand side. Hitting quote will allow you to do multiple quotes.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Decorative meaning the type of painting one would buy at a furniture store in the 1930s to hang over the fireplace in one's new home.

Debora

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. I'd ask if the family is of Dutch origin. looks like Joep Lott (or Loff).
    Joep is Joseph.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Like Debora I read Joseloff, it could be Jose Loff.

The Dutch name Joep is short for Jozef (Joseph), but neither Lott nor Loff are Dutch surnames.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. David Madacsi

David Madacsi Active Member

seems Joseloff is an actual surname. There is a gallery by the same name at the University of Hartford(no info about founder) and it seems an educational gallery in Oz. But can't find anything on an artist with that name.

Draft saved Draft deleted