Featured Signature Help Old Landscape Etching

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I purchased this 4 or 5 years ago and worked on the signature for a while, but eventually gave up. I am guessing it is from sometime in the 1st half of the 20th century. There was no other information on the back of the frame before I took it out and nothing on the back of the print. I am hoping someone has seen this signature before. The plate size is 14" by 10" and the paper is quite heavy. IMG_1057.jpg IMG_1058.jpg

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and Houseful like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Nice scene, is that aquatint method for sky? I cannot read the signature, but it appears to be student work.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree that student work. Circumflex not used in too many languages which should help narrow artistic field. French being the most likely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumflex

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. antidiem

I don't see "circumflex" roof in this anywhere? I thought it was the type of structure built along a waterside to hole up in from the wind? Is that a whole house with a roof? Or is that branches to form a shelter? I thought the latter. I don't see this in the picure:

1.png

And even if it's in there, I doubt it to be an accurate representation of anything more than a decorative scene along a river bank..

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Circumflex.

Debora

IMG_1058 2.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

Thanks Debora, new term for me. I does help to narrow it down.

7. antidiem

8. antidiem

I don't know how "old" the circumflex would be on the signature if it's a family name, or if that is the title of the etching? I'm also not sure what the name for the acid etched process of the sky - Debora, is that "aquatint"? :cat: Or just some kind of dry point or rosin etching for clouds?

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sorry. Aquatint vs. whatever way outside my field of expertise.

Debora

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

doesn't look like aquatint, drypoint maybe

11. antidiem

yes, agreed, thanks blooey

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Does this help at all?

signature.jpg

i need help likes this.
  13. antidiem

Yes but I still cannot read it, maybe someone else will be able to! Thanks, PatP.

Pat P and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted