Featured Signature on Bamboo Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by drg642, Dec 2, 2020.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

This vase is big, about 11 inches tall, and has an etched or cut bamboo pattern. I'm wondering if anyone recognized the signature on the underside? I tried a Google image search of the signature and didn't get anything. Thanks for any help. aba1.JPG aba2.JPG aba3.JPG

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

drg, I looked and looked for every variation of this name that I could figure, but found nothing.. It's a lovely vase.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Me too. Exquisite work and then a macerated signature. I keep coming up with Cynthia Myers pieces, which are sand carved. Maybe this may be a lead download (1).jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    antidiem, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your efforts. It is nicer in person than my photos. I've been trying to ID this off and on for awhile.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

It looks to me like the design is cut, not etched.

6. KikoBlueEyes

How can you tell this? What were your clues? If you don't mind explaining, I would like to see this through your eyes.

judy likes this.
  7. antidiem

LOL Kiko, same green vase I kept coming up with. The design looks etched to me too, but I want to read how Marie can tell before I blab my point of view out! ;)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Greats minds and all that. I too eagerly await Marie’s reply

antidiem likes this.
  9. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Its "grey cut' unpolished. appears etched only because that too is grey. Once you visualize a grinding wheel making the marks, it becomes obvious. etching is not constrained to straight (or curved) lines.

bercrystal, antidiem and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Years of seeing both, plus lots of patience on Cherryhill's part years ago answering my many questions on how to tell. For me the broad strokes that make the leaves are sign.

bercrystal, antidiem and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks. Can I get a brain transplant :D:D:D

antidiem likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

I’m starting to see. If I look at something with linear cuts and it is unpolished I should think cut versus etch.

antidiem likes this.
  13. Marie Forjan

KikoBlueEyes and antidiem like this.
  14. antidiem

Yes, it was the vertical "cut marks" more easily distinguishable from an etched "gray" look, that tipped me off.

Thanks for the link, Marie!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. antidiem

It's a beautiful vase, DRG. Sorry I've been unable to make out the sig.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  16. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

The vase does not photograph well, but here are some close-ups if that may help in seeing the cut design. The leaves and bamboo separations are deep and sharp and feel cut. DSCN4498.JPG DSCN4500.JPG DSCN4501.JPG DSCN4502.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted