Signature On Landscape

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Feb 9, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

5EC591B7-E92C-4806-A52E-D05C2D831596.jpeg EE7F532E-F4A9-4B75-AB95-C1011C3CFC90.jpeg 937CD2BD-8E8F-492E-A63C-F02156F6C97D.jpeg Any suggestions on the name?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. kardinalisimo

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Fred ___ III

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Last part is a year ..... 1995?

5. kardinalisimo

CD267FD9-CDE0-4180-8703-368C27410D03.jpeg It does look like 1995 but I think the piece is older than that.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like the Andes.

Debora

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Thought the name as it looks to me was improbable, but turns out there is a contemporary photographer who has it: Fred Legios. No reason to think he's this painter.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Name something with 'a Fred o Elos'?
    Agree with Debora, it does look like the Andes.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Fred . Enos? The little dot in between might just be a flouris?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Bronwen

That's how it looks to me too.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. kardinalisimo

I hope it’s not this guy!

59CB8B75-7CD5-49C8-974D-5BDC5F755ED1.jpeg

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

13. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

14. kardinalisimo

Wow. Amazing job. Definitely not the guy from the picture :)
    I was very close to list it as Fred Enos.

Christmasjoy, anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

16. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

There were three brothers, Alfredo Lobos Alfaro, Alfredo Lobos Aranguiz and Alberto Lobos. Aranguiz and Alberto died young, 1917 and 1925. Alfaro painted into the mid 20thC. & was prolific, I've had a half dozen of his paintings.

Christmasjoy, judy and Bronwen like this.
  17. kardinalisimo

I’m getting getting really confused about the whole Lobos story.
    According to wiki, there were three bothers that were members of a group of painters knows as The Generation 13.

The Lobos brothers: A group of three brothers from modest origins who exerted great influence on their peers and are remembered as lovers of Spanish tradition, inherited from their teacher.

• Enrique Lobos (1887–1918):[26] The eldest brother, influenced by his partner Enrique Beatrix, and considered by some the most representative artist of The 13 Generation.
    • Alfredo Lobos (1890–1927):[27] The middle borher, he travelled to Spain for a major exhibition; died before finding success in Chile.
    • Alberto Lobos (1892–1925):[28] Born in Rancagua and was the youngest of the brothers. Believed to have died at the age of 33 (though there is some disagreement on the date of his death).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generación_del_13

An Ebay seller kind of confirm the info on the brothers but he also seems to mix things up.

He says that the painting is by Alfredo Lobos Alfaro and then mentions that
    Alfredo Lobos Alfaro was the son of Alfredo Lobos Aranguiz ( 1890-1917).
    It does not makes sense the father to be born the same period as the sons.
    Then he says the painting appears to be from 1934.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...ory=551&pm=1&ds=0&t=1518388206799&cspheader=1

The wiki info says the the Alberto year of death is a bit questionable and indeed I found paintings on Ebay with dates from the 1940’s. He seems to sign his pieces with regular letters Alfredo Lobos not the fancy ones like Alfredo.Also finding some signed A.Lobos with later dates.

Not a lot can be find on Enrique Lobos but to me it looks like he was the most skillful, his style is different and mostly did portraits:
    http://www.artistasvisualeschilenos.cl/658/w3-article-40047.html

So, back to Alfredo. If the wiki info on his death is correct, there is no way his painting to have been dated later than 1927.

What I think is that most people are misreading the dates in the Alfredo pieces. In my case, is it possible the year to be 1915 but not 1975?

18. kardinalisimo

Now, here also comes the question who was Alfredo Lobos Aranguiz. If he was the father of the 3 other painters then his dates of birth and death are incorrect all over the internet, English and Spanish websites.
    Or maybe he was a completely different painter with no blood relationship to the other Lobos. Unless a cousin or something...

Here are paintings of him, signed Alfredo Lobos A.
    http://www.economicos.cl/productos/vendo-pintura-de-alfredo-lobos-aranguiz-codAAFIVTQ.html
    http://www.artistasvisualeschilenos.cl/658/w3-article-40044.html

If Anundverkaufen info is correct and the brothers were Alfredo Lobos Alfaro, Alfredo Lobos Aranguiz and Alberto Lobos, the. who was Enrique? Maybe he is not a brother but a different person?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

I have never heard of a family where two brothers (living at the same time) have the same name. If someone calls Alfredo, do two people answer? Or no one, because they both think it was meant for the other?
    In Spain, people add their mother's surname to their father's. This could be the same in parts of Latin America.
    So in the case of Alfredo Lobos Alfaro, the father's name is Lobos, the mother's Alfaro. In the case of Alfredo Lobos Aranguiz, the father's name is Lobos, the mother's Aranguiz. One Alfredo could be the son or nephew of the other.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted