Signed 1960s abstract painting, typed catalog #?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I have few questions. Painting measures 15x18".

Looks to be 1960's plus or minus. I like the painting but my eye for art is not as developed as some of the folks here, so would appreciate thoughts. The signature is really hard to make out. Typed notes on the side with title, dimensions, and almost what looks like a catalog number. Inside wood says "Seoul Whabang" with some characters and numbers. This is printed upside down on the top inside wood so thinking it might be part of the framing and not related to the painting...or? I think the canvas is linen.

All thoughts much appreciated.

painting1.jpg painting3.jpg painting5.jpg painting6.jpg

2. Lucille.b

paint2.jpg painting2.jpg Here's the back:

painting2.jpg

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It looks like it was in an exhibition....or art show.
    Those red dots are used when a piece sells.

More than that I'm clueless !

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    That is the same sort of marks you see on the "starving artists" paintings that sell at hotels. Also called factory art. The Wabang is the frame maker and the middleman selling the paintings to the group. It is one of the nicer ones that I have seen. the red dot was the price i.e. red dot 29 dollars, yellow dot 19 dollars.
    greg

5. komokwa

Could also be.........maybe......possibly......

6. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Actually this is code which dates back to the revolution, red if by land, blue if by sea.

As Komokwa rightly points out, red dots generally denote "sold" whereas blue dots are for reserves.

7. komokwa

Sometimes ya gotta own an Art Gallery to know this kinda stuff.......or at least having had owned one.....:(

8. Lucille.b

Thanks, everyone.

Do you think it merits any further research based on the quality?

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

For what its worth,I think its beautiful. I see possibly "surrennti" or "sorrentis" in the signature.

10. Lucille.b

Thanks, Johnny. I've stared at that signature for a while, trying different guesses and hoping for an auto-correct that would lead me to the artist, no luck so far.

I'm not the greatest judge of art, but this really stood out for me (thrift store). And minutes after I grabbed it, a competing dealer (who does know about art) spotted it in my cart and went on and on about it.

For now it is on my wall, every time I look at it I think of hiking in the mountains in the snow. Everytime. It is the oddest thing.

At some point if I tire of it, I'll consign it and will be looking at $50-75 or so, just wanted to be sure I wasn't giving away something worth a lot more.

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Since it has a Korean stretcher, I wonder if this is a Korean artist Suk R??????? I tried to come up with something along these lines but no luck.

12. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Suk also spelled Seok is a common Korean name, I can't make out the rest.

13. Lucille.b

Thanks Brad and Anund for taking a look.

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I was thinking the same thing as Brad about the name being Korean, even if it's in English. You could also see Jack Ronti.

Draft saved Draft deleted