Featured Signed artisan necklace --help with maker and/or style. Thanks.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

How would I describe this necklace? Are the pieces hammered out of something else? Anyone know a name for this kind of work?

Was from a fairly high end estate of a local artist, so easily could be an artisan piece.

What I think might be a maker's mark looks like an S, or possibly double SS ?

Thoughts as to maker or keywords for the style of this? Thanks.

(Note first photo I realized has the pendant part sort of stuck on the hook at one part -- had fixed that by the 2nd photo.)

neck2.jpg neck3.jpg neck4.jpg neck5.jpg neck6.jpg neck7.jpg View attachment 136553

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The domed pieces were badly cast and it appears the domes separated and then soldered to repair them.The long links are "dog bone" and the top piece of the pendant was also cast.

judy likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thanks, Holly.

For better or worse, it looks like the whole piece was made by hand -- it does sort of look like a solder blob on those domes, but nothing seems to have been repaired at that point.

What sort of was interesting to me was that the pattern on the back of the dome pieces has sort of a sunburst pattern in the circle. This not seen from the front. That's why I was wondering if this somehow was created from another piece originally. Or maybe something was pressed in to get that effect?

Still hoping for help with that signature or mark. Thanks for taking a look.

P.S. Looking back at my photos need to clarify that it is completely silver in color throughout (the bit of yellow is just a reflection.)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Jivvy and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks 1960s-70s, ethnic-inspired.

Lucille.b, Jivvy and judy like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I don't think it was made from anything else, I think it just is. And while I wasn't the flared leg jumpsuit type, if I had been, I totally would have rocked that piece.

I agree with a late 60s early 70s date, but with artisan pieces, who really knows?

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Perhaps GS for the makers mark?

Lucille.b likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Thank you all. I figured ID-ing the maker might be a long shot. No two dog bone links are the same, so even those seem to have been handmade in sort of a rustic style. Reminds me of something from Spain, but could be 100% off.

Thanks! :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It doesn't look particularly Spanish, but there were 'Hippie' craft fairs in the 60s-70s in Spain as well.
    More recently there is the so-called Ibiza style, after a Spanish holiday island. The Ibiza style is much like what we know as Boho ('Bohemian') in the rest of the world, and has a strong 60s-70s influence.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It certainly looks hippie-ish in style but suspect it's newer. How does it close?

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted