SIGNED BASEBALL GLOVE

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by arrohh1113, Jun 14, 2020.

1. arrohh1113

arrohh1113 New Member

Not sure this is the right forum/site to ask over something like this - but was wondering if this signature was obvious to anyone.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'll tag @BaseballGames , who might recognize this? It would be a good idea for you to also post a photo of the entire glove or mitt.

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board.
    Think this would do better in Antique Discussion.

Asking @Bookahtoo or @daveydempsey to move it there. Thank you.

arrohh1113 likes this.
  4. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Thanks, Fig, but we're stumped on that one. Older signatures we're pretty good at, back when guys signed thoughtfully and carefully, but modern athletes' sigs tend to be hieroglyphs, just squiggles that are more logo than signature.
    Autograph collectors recognize those squiggles, though, so once again we'd refer the OP to Net54baseball, which has a subforum https://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31 devoted to autographs and loads of autograph experts in residence.

edit: Never mind, we already posted it for you over there. Should be an answer sometime between the next five minutes and the next five days...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  5. clutteredcloset49

Just like here:) although we are a little bit faster than 5 days.

komokwa and arrohh1113 like this.
  6. arrohh1113

arrohh1113 New Member

Wowwee - so nice of you to post on my behalf - I posted and went grocery shopping to come back to so much help - thanks everyone!

Here are some more photos if you think that'll help at all. Bought it upstate NY. It's a small glove - FYI.

Thanks again so much

Attached Files:

7. clutteredcloset49

Wondering if knowing what baseball teams are in your area would help to determine the autograph.

8. arrohh1113

arrohh1113 New Member

I think I got it at an Ithaca NY Salvation Army.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

So looking at rosters of Mets or Yankees teams of 1998 might be a first step. Then going out in a radius to other teams .
    If you wanted to spend the time.

10. BaseballGames

Approaching a hundred looks at it from autograph experts on Net54, and not a single solitary guess from them as of yet. We're leaning strongly to the signature being that of a player on a rec-league team.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's a branded "Ken Griffey, Jr." glove. The signature in question is definitely not his. I assume the signature in the palm is printed on. So, likely an amateur signature, as @BaseballGames says.

12. BaseballGames

Right, it's a standard 1990s Rawlings "Ken Griffey signature model" outfielder's glove, available to major league, minor league, high school, and sandlot players alike. The only signature in question is the one scribbled low on the outside of the thumb, and it doesn't seem to be that of any player of significance. It is a nice quality mitt, though, so the OP could get some decent money for it.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted