Featured Signed Blenko Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, May 23, 2019.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I've googled every Blenko combination (Blenko bowl, Richard Blenko signed bowl, Blenko PBS, etc) I can think of and haven't found this one. I also posted on the Blenko FB group, where the only response I got was that it has the original Richard Blenko sandblasted signature and that perhaps it was a promotional piece. It's not in the 2002 Blenko catalog.

The bowl has a top diameter of 7 1/2", 4 1/4" high. It has a thick bottom, typical Blenko pontil, and is signed Richard Blenko and Blenko 2002 (I had a hard time with the signature photos, but I think you can see them).

Does anyone here recognize it?

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    aaroncab, Bronwen, Aquitaine and 6 others like this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I love Blenko. To find something unique and signed is just wonderful! This is especially pretty with the contrast of colors. Most of what I find and can afford is more pedestrian stuff - duplicated hundreds of times.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Bronwen, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous, ascot, love the colours.

Bronwen, pearlsnblume, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is stunning.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Kiko,
    20 years ago a store was going out of business down at the Shore. I had never heard of Blenko at the time. The store had over 125 pieces of Blenko from 3" to 2ft tall in all kinds of color for sale at 5 dollars each. They looked gorgeous in wonderful shades of colors. I was only interested in different Depression Glass which I was selling like mad. I passed on all of those "newer' glass like Blenko.:eek::oops::oops::oops::eek::eek:
    greg

6. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

It's possible this could have been one of the pieces offered on PBS that year. In case you aren't familar - Blenko partnered with PBS in the late '90s I believe. Each year they would produce a set of 5 or 6 pieces which would be offered as pledge incentives, and promoted during an airing of a Blenko documentary. I think at least some of those pieces were non-catalog, or specialty offerings such as typical catalog pieces in colors not usually made for sale.

As an example, here are the 2016 offerings: https://www.wkar.org/post/blenko-glass-behind-scenes-1#stream/0

You might try contacting the Blenko Project site. The lady who created it also publishes a long-running Blenko blog in the local newspaper.

http://www.blenkoproject.org/

EDIT: Looks like the blog has an 11-month ID help backlog, sorry:

http://herald-dispatchblogs04.blogspot.com/

7. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info/links. I tried googling PBS Blenko pieces for that year and other years but came up empty. As I said, I also posted on the Blenko collectors' Facebook page but no one was able to ID this piece except to say that's it's genuine and possibly a limited edition/promotional piece.

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This isn't my field, but, the more it is confirmed to be genuine & the less anyone can find any record of it, isn't that better for you & the value of the piece?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I think the color is called Tequila Sunrise. You could search the 2002 Blenko general catalog and see what other pieces they were producing in that color. It's possible only the shape was unique to the PBS folks but not the color. Value is tricky. Some Blenko folks collect by color and I would think this would be a hard to find piece for Tequila Sunrise collectors. On the other hand, by 2002 Blenko was recognized as a collectible so some folks may have bought this piece in 2002 as an investment. It would help to know how many of those puppies are out there. There is a Facebook page for "Blenko Glass Collectors" that may be able to help.
    Don

10. Bronwen

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Sorry, missed that the FB was already tried. I saw the comments but missed the original post!:eggface:
    Don

KikoBlueEyes, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

I'm intrigued. Not seeing the shape in any color. This is closest:

[​IMG]

Seeing 'Amberina' used sometimes for yellow to orange pieces, although TS probably more accurate for OP's.

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw this one and it appears to be the closest to mine. Note that the base on mine is thicker and the sides of the bottom of the bowl are straight rather than tapering.

KikoBlueEyes, judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

The difference in the angle of the sides was enough for me to see they are not the same & the vertical sides are what I went looking for & couldn't find among ruffle edged bowls.

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted