Signed Blown Out Caged Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wildrose, May 10, 2016.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

no idea if this is vintage or not...at first look I thought biglots etc but then I found a handwritten signature that I cannot read, the strapping is braided leather, not metal like some I have seen....thoughts? thanks! Is caged the correct word? It is about 10" tall. glassvase.jpg glassvase1.jpg glassvase2.jpg

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Well, I had a tour of images for hand blown caged glass, and the ONLY one I saw that was irregular, like yours, was this... as you say, caged in metal. Wouldn't molten glass BURN leather? Maybe they formed it with metal and then replaced it with leather? Can't wait to see what the glass brainiacs think!
    And about the name... starts with an M or W or N? and has a t and an i in the middle? GAHHH!

[​IMG]
    https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+glass+caged+glass+leather&biw=1600&bih=783&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwify4-avdDMAhXJVyYKHVF-DEQQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=hand+blown+caged+glass+&imgrc=2F5yZk2chxBhtM:
    "(Glass blown into a hand-made copper wire cage, the glass bubbles out through the openings)"

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  3. Mary Delaney

Mary Delaney Well-Known Member

I had a "similar" piece some time back, very thin glass blown into a thick wire frame with scroll feet, geometric design, more of a flower vase or such, definitely not abstract as your piece seems to be. Never did know much about it but I could tell it was old. Then about 7 years ago I ran across a similar item, glass blown into a rusty thick steel "cage" on a steel yard stake for outside candle burners. They were sold at Joann Fabrics The glass technique used must have been revived from an earlier period. I would definitely like to see some other old examples.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

KingofThings and Wanttoknow like this.
  5. desperate_fun

@wildrose

I believe you are correct in your term "Caged"

KingofThings and wildrose like this.
  6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I've also seen it called "Imprisoned Glass", with the leather straps, maybe it's "bondage glass".

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....................

KingofThings and Wanttoknow like this.
  8. Wanttoknow

Wanttoknow Well-Known Member

9. wildrose

where are the folks that like to decipher signatures???

KingofThings likes this.
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

YEAH! We need 'em on the Bombed Bridge thread, too!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Ha!
    A spanking great idea! ;)

wildrose likes this.
  12. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Do we? ;)

13. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Not any more, Kingsie!

KingofThings likes this.
  14. wildrose

A lovely lady on FB figured this out!! It is Vanessa Mitrani blown glass. Thanks again!!!

KingofThings and desperate_fun like this.
  15. desperate_fun

Thank you for the update :)

wildrose and KingofThings like this.
  16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Draft saved Draft deleted