Featured Signed Cameo Lobit ? Sobit ? Sobil ? Please help identify the signature

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    I have a cameo that is signed, not sure if anyone can recognise it.
    I thought to share it anyway, so it will remain as a reference here.
    I have a feeling it’s depicting a Rosa girl, looks like roses in her hair. May be Bacchante as well, not sure if they are apples or roses.
    The frame is not gold, possible gold plated, I wonder how old is it?

@Bronwen @PepperAnna
    Wonder if you would like to comment.
    @KSW @Fid @Aquitaine @Ownedbybear @kyratango @Figtree3
    Please tag anyone else interested in the subject.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona 81B15D44-2852-4A10-9C73-CA677B8E94DA.jpeg 16910888-4DF0-44B2-97C5-8B4CCB1BCCBD.jpeg 0A5FCB1F-F5C3-4BA2-8DCB-033C9D86E79B.jpeg 6CB8440C-12D7-40D4-9CF0-DE31A0961109.jpeg

stracci, Figtree3, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

She is a sweetie! I think late 1800s, very early 1900s based on the hinge and calsp.

She look a little bit worn down but not too bad. I don't think you can call her a Bacchante, if she had grapes in her hair then yes. But that's JMHO.

Have you tested the mount? It's lovely and even if gold filled very, very nice.

She's a beauty and I would have grabbed her in a heart beat!

Bronwen, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  3. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Hi Simona- nice cameo! I think it is a general beautiful lady or maybe a depiction of Flora, based on the flower garland in her hair. I don't recognize the signature - any chance you could get a closer picture of the signature. I don't think it is a "t" at the end, as the line across the "t" looks like a semicircular scratch. I did a quick internet search but was unsuccesful. I agree with Marie as to age- late 1800s. Let's see what Bronwen has to say- she may recognize the signature.

4. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much for the quick reply. The cameo does have two circular lines (semicircles) on each end, which I presumed they are not part of the signature.
    I have not tested the metal, it’s not hallmarked. I am sure the person I bought it from did test it, as he is a dealer. It’s either pinchbeck or gold plated.
    I am happy with your suggestion as Flora, she is very beautiful, shame my photos are not very clear.
    I will try taking few more photos of the signature later on today.
    @Aquitaine I wonder if you could work your magic on this as well on your software.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Bronwen and judy like this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I played with the contrast and color isolation. It looks like there is something written below. I underlined it in black. abcd.jpg

abcde.jpg

judy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

She IS Lovely!!! Would be nice if Bronwen would check in too!! And I will see about cleaning that Sig up....where you circled has a definite A and looks like and indistinct lower case letter then what look like two 'g's....and anybodys guess after that........

7. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Very nice Victorian cameo. As to the setting; I would test for gold. Dealers are just like the rest of us, sometimes they're just plain lazy. If nor gold it's probably pinchbeck. With the wear apparent on the cameo I would expect wear on the setting. GF would be obvious.

8. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much for your effort in making the signature more visible.
    I had a look yesterday at it, and looked, and looked, spent all day trying to see what is below the signature, unfortunately I can’t see anything, it looks like shadows
    And slight indentation in the shell, but I can’t see actual writhing or scratches.
    Next to the frame slightly lower I can see a number 6 in Roman letters VI, but nothing else.
    I am inclined to think that the signature reads Sobil.
    Please see below new photos,
    Hope that are much clearer this time.
    @Bronwen, I would appreciate your opinion on it, if you have the chance and time.
    Thank you.
    97669C89-03A4-4125-B764-3ECBB6E572DA.jpeg 335F6797-7615-4BCE-8A94-AA6F6B786427.jpeg A347CD5E-5836-45F6-8210-20AC91EBA8DF.jpeg

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hi guys. I've been ill in some weird way for several weeks. I'm beginning to suspect it was some sort of CoViD thing, even though I've been vaxxed to the max, have little contact with other people & wear a mask most of the time when out of my apartment. Didn't think it was an illness at all until the symptoms suddenly, blessedly, lifted.

Anyway, yes, she would be considered a generic Flora type. Never hurts to test, but would be surprised if mount turns out to be any grade of solid gold. Pinchbeck a strong possibility. Would guess from the last 20 years of the 19th.

Agree, they are not. Think it might actually be Schmoll. He did Flora often, with variations; each that I have a photo of has the hair & flowers done differently. The level of skill is comparable. With that suggestion, see if you can follow the line to make Silz, Sll or Schmoll.

I'm gonna go lie down for a while. :)

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Bronwen, I hope it's NOT any form of Covid and that you're starting to feel better!!! @Simona Buhus, I'm not sure there's enough to find for you and we can wait for Bronwen to check in.....here's what I did....I edited out those two arcs above and below without touching (I hope!) the lines that may relate to a signature, and tried to enhance a bit only lines that I thought might actually BE parts of a signature.....REALLY not sure it's enough to come up with a definitive answer though or for me to take a guess!!!

NEWEST SAVE-8A94-AA6F6B786427-lines-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

judy, Simona Buhus and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

Thank you, Aqui. It had a lot of features in common with things some people with 'long covid' experience, like having the sequelae without having the acute phase, but there are some other possibilities.

You did a great job separating the signal from the noise. It no longer looks like one of the Schmoll variants. Maybe it's just the resemblance that makes me think I have seen it before. At the moment it looks like it is LOL at us.

Aquitaine, judy and Simona Buhus like this.
  12. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much, it now looks to me as Sobil or Sobie.
    If anything, it will remain here as a point of reference.
    Funny enough, I also thought at first was a Schmoll cameo, I have compared the two signatures, but the letters don’t look similar to me, but again, I might be wrong.
    Thanks you again.

Bronwen, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  13. Simona Buhus

Hello @Bronwen
    Thank you for your reply, good to hear from you. So sorry to read about your health, good to hear you’re feeling better, hope you make full recovery soon.
    I highly value your opinion, and am sure that everyone else here feels the same, I just hope I did not tire you too much with my questions.
    I will send you a private email.
    Thinking at you.
    Simona

Msalicia, Bronwen and Aquitaine like this.
  14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

@Bronwen...........wishing you good health once more.

Bronwen, Simona Buhus and Aquitaine like this.
  15. Bronwen

Thank you, Judy. Feeling well actually feels kind of weird. :kiss:

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thank you for the tag! It did not show up in my notifications. That happens sometimes. Unfortunately I can't help with this. I do like it, and also agree that the enhanced signature looks most like Sobel, although also perhaps Sobil, Lobel, or Lobil.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Is it possible it says Sofie?? Dear Bronwen. Like you I’m very careful but I managed to get it twice. The original Covid I didn’t know I had, the second was bright home from my husbands work. Omni whatever. Went away but the weakness feeling and tiredness was bad. I wish the best for you. I got the Regeneron treatment and OMG that really knocked it out but you need to get it when Covid is active. God speed.

George Chaney, Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  18. Bronwen

Fatigue was a major feature of whatever hit me too. In retrospect, I must have had a fever (I don't have a thermometer) because the apartment temperature conditions then were the same as I have now, yet I would alternate between feeling so hot I thought I would melt & shaking with cold. I had the runs but no nausea. No cough. I was at times sort of gasping for air, but didn't think of it as shortness of breath at the time. I had a much shorter episode of mainly extreme fatigue last year, between vax & booster. That time again it did not really seem like illness until all the symptoms suddenly lifted.

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I had all the same symptoms you had and the same ones you didn’t. It can be different for everyone. It brought back an issue I had last summer after being bit by several different ticks and walking thru a nest of them. I am still getting tests for tick diseases. There are so many each tick carries and not all are treated with the same meds. The Lone Star Tick has a disease called Tularemia and the lab won’t do the test. I researched it further and it was used in the invasion of Crimea as bio warfare‍! What next?

Bronwen likes this.
  20. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

@Bronwen, I hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you were really knocked down for several weeks. Glad you are slowly on the mend.

Msalicia and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted