SIGNED COPPER PANEL w/AFRICAN SCENE IN RELIEF - HOW DO THEY DO THIS?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 21, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought a few things at a local yard sale and when I saw this as I was leaving with my purchases & asked how much, the lady said "Take it!"
    It looks like a African/tribal daily life scene, but the artist's name (looks like Sepiano to me) doesn't sound African or tribal to me!
    Does anyone know the artist? Any idea what this was for? (It looks like it was part of a facade?)

How did they make this? Was it lie a artist carving a plate for a print? But then how did they get the depth?
    Thanks all
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY AFRICAN COPPER ART SEPIANO 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY AFRICAN COPPER ART SEPIANO 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY AFRICAN COPPER ART SEPIANO 3AA.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice of her.
    They create the design by hammering on the back, this is called repoussé, and then finely hammering some parts on the front to get more definition in the image, this is called chasing. Copper is very easy to work.
    The name looks like Sapiano, a name I know from Malta, but it probably is Italian as well. It looks like an African village scene, but could have been made by a European, American, etc. who visited Africa, or was inspired by Africa.

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

That's incredible that they can hammer something so fine it looks like that!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted