Featured Signed inside painted snuff bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Boland, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

2D7F9A29-361E-4BA5-954B-A8A594ECB795.jpeg C77A09E9-B4BA-4B7F-9418-848092E4BB16.jpeg 29A584A8-7A28-4ED8-A4E3-449A9B91B2CD.jpeg AA638ABC-EB4F-4545-BE24-E36DC1D3DB69.jpeg Hi all,got this awhile ago at the unbeatable price of about $1. I like that it’s also signed but I assume that it’s rather recent. The stopper is also glass. Stands 10cm tall. So recent? Good or average quality? Thank you for any comments.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's lovely, but by the look of it...newer..

3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks for the comment Komo. I was also thinking ‘newer’,but just wanted to get confirmation and maybe a opinion on quality. Or maybe (longshot) someone even knows the signature..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    judy and komokwa like this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I was just looking at some truly beautiful proper vintage and antique snuff bottles online (again) I really think that (if I had the money) I would have focused on collecting these. The art and skill is just amazing.

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As komo said, it is a recent bottle. Qualitywise no issues, but no masterpiece either. A pretty bottle.

A masterpiece doesn't have to be old, btw. Inside painted snuff bottles are a relatively recent development, and the true masterpieces are to be found in 20th and 21st century bottles. Late 19th century inside painted snuff bottles are beautiful, but they don't have the very high artistic quality of some new ones.

Inside painted bottles are mostly part of the Chinese gift and presentation culture, they are meant to 'shine' rather than be used.
    You can't go wrong with $1.;)
    The text is often something like "Asters and Bamboo", rather than a signature. Even if signed, in this case it wouldn't add value to the bottle.

komokwa, Boland and judy like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Hi AJ,much appreciated and thank you for the comment and interesting information. I just wrongly assumed the masterpieces would be the really old ones (but then I also didn’t know that it was a relatively new art form)

Anyway there are some truly beautiful masterpieces ones out there (but probably not for $1) but maybe one day I will get truly lucky :)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted