Featured signed Majolica?? pottery hand made ewer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Steven S., Apr 29, 2018.

1. Steven S.

Steven S. Well-Known Member

This ewer is in aesthetic style and appears to be signed/initialed and dated 1881 and I'm curious for some thoughts on it. It's 17" tall and about 8.5" wide and a few inches deep. The spout has the head of a gryphon(?) with a ring in the beak. Each side of the body has a different incised design. It has the look and feel of majolica but is glazed in monochromatic gloss blue. I'm stumped and can't find anything remotely similar in searches. aaarsz_adsc09978_1.jpg aaarsz_adsc09969_1.jpg aaarsz_dsc09972.jpg aaarsz_adsc00008_1.jpg

2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I'm finding a similar shaped ewer under "German Westerwald Ewer", but none quite like yours and the glaze looks different.

I know diddly about pottery though. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to offer you some ideas.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  3. Steven S.

You're right. While it's definitely not Westerwald, it has similar stylings to that and could very well be German/Austrian in origin.

judy, tie.dye.cat and Huntingtreasure like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's very nice....

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

6. Duprey

Duprey Member

It's gorgeous!

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Might well be English, those aren't European figure ones and the head is a bit like MArtinware. Glaze is also common on late 19th C Doulton and Minton. There's a very good British Studio Pottery page on Facebook, try it there.

Steven S. likes this.
  8. Steven S.

Thanks! Will do.

9. KentWhirled

KentWhirled Well-Known Member

J A Wold, 1881?

Draft saved Draft deleted