Signed old photograph

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by gerspee, Sep 26, 2016.

1. gerspee

gerspee Well-Known Member

Own this for a long time now and still want to know who made it and maybe who is the pictured man ? 002.JPG 006.JPG 005.JPG 003.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Henbach????? Early 1900s?

I doubt you will ever find the subject's name. But he is good looking enough to be one of my ancestors. :cool:

3. gerspee

I think the name is Offenbach as photographer ?

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes, Offenbach, 263 Columbia St., Brooklyn, NY.

Could be one of my relatives too!

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  5. TheOLdGuy

OFFenbach!!!!! Correct!!! Dummy me.

Gee, gma. Maybe we're cousins

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Could be, TOG! Were your ancestors from the Island?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I found two photography studios in old sources listed at 262 Columbia St. Brooklyn, N.Y.

Leeds at 262 Columbia St. Brooklyn, N.Y. and Palmisano Studio 262 Columbia St. Brooklyn, N.Y.

Is a name or initials or logo and/or address of any photography studio printed or embossed on the paper "frame" holding the photograph?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    That address was two blocks from me when I lived in Brooklyn Heights. Nice photo.
    greg

9. yourturntoloveit

Bakersgma, just curious but . . . are you thinking that "Offenbach" is the photographer or the subject in the photo?

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

Photographer. IMHO

What were the dates on your finds? From the clothing I'd say post-1900, maybe closer to the teens.

11. yourturntoloveit

KingofThings likes this.
  12. TheOLdGuy

GB? Yes.
    Ireland? Maybe.
    Haiti? No.

But no idea when they emigrated. Current records date to early 1800s. All ensconced in U.S.A. Then fade away.

Plus some name changes. Like Cleophus Rousselle, Blacksmith in Hadley Mass. Married Edwidge Lemieux 1861.
    Fifteen children of which 6 died in infancy.
    Cleophus Rousselle changed name to Clifford Russell. (I don't blame him. :rolleyes: )

Others last name LeClaire de Francoeur. Some changed to LeClaire. Some to just Francoeur.
    Some have birth certificates which read as
    Mother - Emma Mae Rousselle.
    Father Thomas Francoeur.
    Newborn - Irene Beatrice Hart
    - last name changed by doctors and clerks who were, in the vast majority, of Irish ancestry.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  13. Bakersgma

Cool! I think comparing the Leeds and Palmisano photos by clothing, the Offenbach image in in the middle somewhere. Leeds definitely earlier and Palmisano later.

14. Bakersgma

Sorry - I was referring the "The Island" in NY parlance - meaning Long Island (on which is found the borough (formerly city) of Brooklyn. Also Queens, Nassau and Suffolk counties. ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  15. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Greg. Are there any Revolutionary war markers on the Heights?

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The Revolutionary war was fought further in land in Brooklyn, tho it is called the Heights the heights were not named until years later. It is rather confusing.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  17. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

But the army fired on what they could reach towards NYC from up there...
    It's quite a story actually.
    It's why the British finally left NY.

18. gerspee

There's nothing on the back or embossed in the paper unfortunately

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Through some web searches I found that there were at least 6 different photographers with a studio at that address between the 1870s-1920s. I did not find Offenbach listed.

This photo, IMO, is from as early as 1905? and as late as the early 1930s. About the only photographer whose name I found at that address during that time frame was Palmisano. There was also a photographer named Ebeling listed in 1906. But information online can be incomplete. If you could do a search in 20th-century city directories of Brooklyn, that might be the way to go to find out more about the photographer. Census records could also be searched.

This one is signed by the photographer on the image itself instead of having an imprint on the card mount. That's an alternate way of doing things, but makes me wonder whether there's a chance that the photographer was new to that address or did not stay there long?

It's unlikely that the subject of the photo could be identified, but you never know. Stranger things have happened!

yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  20. gerspee

Thanks and going try to find out more with the links given . So :happy:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted