Signed photo/art NA but can't read signature.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Messilane, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

This is signed and numbered - can anyone make out the signature?

DSCN9368.jpg

DSCN9370.jpg

DSCN9369.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

William Si(something)more?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Messilane

Most likely. But then what. HAHAHA
    I wish artists were made to print their signatures!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Sisemore......it's a mix of tribal images...i doubt he's native..

judy likes this.
  5. evelyb30

It might even be a mix of tribes.

judy likes this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Alaskan artist William Sidmore

judy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

Authorities suspect art dealer of being an illegal tusk master
    Sun | Local

The Associated Press and Sun staffAug 19th, 2004

A globe-trotting art dealer from Bali who authorities allege took ancient animal remains illegally from government land near the Arctic Circle and sold them to undercover agents was arrested this week in, of all places, Poulsbo.

William Sidmore, 52, of Bali is being held on charges of illegal trafficking in elephant, walrus and woolly mammoth ivory, much of it in carvings. He also is suspected of trafficking the teeth of endangered bears, authorities said.

Sidmore, who grew up in Alaska, was arrested Tuesday at his storage locker at North Kitsap Self Storage in Poulsbo after a 14-month investigation by Fish and Wildlife Service agents, according to an affidavit by agent Jill Birchell.

Sidmore was believed to be preparing to leave for Bali, Birchell wrote. Dennis Raymond, a friend with whom he had been staying in Seattle, said Sidmore mentioned that he was about to fly back to Indonesia.

He faces a detention hearing today in U.S. District Court in Tacoma after being indicted by a federal grand jury in Anchorage, Alaska, authorities said.

The charges include smuggling, which carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison, and the theft of federal property, punishable by up to 10 years.

According to the affidavit, Fish and Wildlife agent Sam Jojola was posing as an ivory buyer in Fairbanks, Alaska, in June 2003 when he learned that Sidmore was also in town and was offering carvings from Bali for sale.

Sidmore, who reportedly moved to Bali 10 years ago, showed Jojola a mammoth tusk he said he had found on Bureau of Land Management land in Alaska, Birchell wrote.

He also offered for sale for $10,000 a carving he said he had made for his students in Bali from the tusk of a narwhal, an Arctic whale with a long spiral tusk, which he described as the "rarest ivory in the world," according to the affidavit.

Sidmore said he made the carving from a 10-foot tusk he found in two pieces "in the sand along the Bering Strait," Birchell wrote.

"It's still in storage in, uh, Poulsbo near Seattle," Sidmore allegedly told Jojola during an Aug. 9 phone conversation mentioned in the affidavit. "So I'll pull that out when I get back."

He told the agent that in his career he'd only found three Narwhal tusks, the document said.

He also said he had "a quarter million dollars worth" of stock in storage in Washington state, "big Rubbermaid tubs filled with ivory" such as carvings from walrus and elephant tusks and the teeth of grizzly and sun bears, according to the affidavit.

The Sun was unable to contact U.S. Attorneys in Alaska to determine what and how much suspected illegal ivory was confiscated from the Poulsbo unit.

Uh oh....!!!

Taupou, all_fakes, judy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

YIKES !!!:mad::oops:

9. Messilane

Well, sh\t! :mad:
    But thanks, folks. You kept me from making a fool of myself. :hilarious:

10. komokwa

he seems to now be a tusk carver...non native..

judy likes this.
  11. evelyb30

Art by a notorious smuggler might be worth selling. Of course if it's just some poor stiff with the same name....

judy likes this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

13. komokwa

his edition sizes are....well.....less than limited...;)
    at least for this kind of work..

judy likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

He may have had a perfectly legitimate career at one time. Just moved on to something more lucrative. :mad:

judy, komokwa and Huntingtreasure like this.
  15. komokwa

he draws well...........:yawn:

judy and Bronwen like this.
  16. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

2004 must have been a big year for such enforcement.....I've been told that in 2004 there were 400 prosecutions involving fake Native art and artifacts.
    And also in 2004 the US Fish and Wildlife folks broke up an Indonesian crime ring: they were illegally obtaining genuine ivory in Alaska from endangered species; shipping it to Indonesia to be carved into replicas of genuine native items; shipping it back to Alaska to be sold as genuine Native carvings. Who would imagine, seeing a carving that is obviously genuine Alaskan ivory, that it might have been faked in Indonesia?

(and even sadder, while confiscating the fakes they found 10,000 small carvings made from Indonesian water buffalo bone, not otherwise illegal; they auctioned these off, and the buyers were almost certainly wholesalers. To this day, if you see an ebay auction for a "buffalo bone" item, a fetish or shaman's charm, it is almost certainly one of these, or more likely, one from the current production; because the 10,000 items were just stock on hand, the carvings from that week or that month. I'd guess there are 120,000 of these annually, or more, most destined to be sold as genuine native artifacts.
    (I've got a link to the Fish and Wildlife article on this somewhere....)

Taupou and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted