Featured Silent Film Star & Baseball Cards

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, May 16, 2020.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

IMG_6578.jpg IMG_6579.jpg IMG_6577.jpg IMG_6580.jpg Was discussing these with someone and thought I'd share them here. I tried selling them years ago with no takers so I kept them. My Aunt was a huge silent film fan back in the early 20th century and sent for a lot of things. There are two sizes in the collection.

My favorites are two photos of William S. Hart. The one of him in his cowboy hat is put away somewhere, but here's one without the hat. One of these days I'll have them framed.

The three baseball players were taped up as you can see the vestiges of tape on the top. I don't know much about early baseball.

View attachment 252511 View attachment 252512 View attachment 252513 View attachment 252514

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If I click on those links I get "Bad error" or some such....is that because they're already posted???? NICE photo collection, BTW, Bev!!!!

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Orestes Minoso is best known these days as Minnie Minoso. He was one of the most loved players on the Chicago White Sox. I'm not a White Sox fan but grew up in the Chicago area so have heard of him, mostly in his later years as a coach. And I didn't realize that his last name was actually spelled Miñoso! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnie_Miñoso

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the other two players but Minnie played in the 1950s and 1960s. I imagine the others did as well.

pearlsnblume and sabre123 like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

5. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Cuban-born Minnie Minoso, a seven-time All-Star selection, played for four major-league teams in the main part of his career (1949-64), then made a handful of novelty appearances in games in 1976 and 1980 so he could lay claim to having played in the majors in five decades. He led his league in triples and stolen bases three times each, in hits and total bases once each, led the league ten times in being hit by a pitch, and earned top-10 votes for MVP in five seasons.

Walker Cooper played as a catcher for six different teams in an 18-year major league career (1940-57). An eight-time All-Star, he finished four times among the top 20 in MVP votes. A notably good hitter for a catcher, he wound up with a .285 BA and 173 homers in 1,473 games.

Al Zarilla played the outfield for three major-league clubs in his ten-year career (1943-53), earning an All-Star berth in 1948.

The images you have of those guys appear to be what are known in the sports memorabilia hobby as "exhibit cards." Collectors who specialize in those (there are many at https://net54baseball.com/ ) could tell you the publisher and year of production (certainly somewhere in the 1950-53 range). The tape stains hurt their value a little, but they are nonetheless very collectible, and would fetch a decent price at Net54 or on the 'bay.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  6. komokwa

isn't it nice when you can share your knowledge here !!! ;):happy::happy:
    thanx !!!

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Wow. Interesting info. I'm from the Boston area so by default I'm a Red Sox fan, but I can last about three innings before I get bored and tune out. My son thinks I should keep the Silent Film star cards, but he doesn't have room for them in his apartment. I feel like I'm running a storage facility. Both kids tell me not to get rid of stuff, but they both have their own homes and I think it's time to either take what they want or let it go.

komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  8. komokwa

Your cards, your stuff, your choice....the kids'll do as they please !
    There must be collectors out there for both types of cards..

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

There are collectors out there for EVERYTHING. LOL. My problem is because I got stuff from several family members and my parents second hand store, I have no real theme. Just stuff.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. komokwa

around here...Stuff.....IS a theme !!! :hilarious::hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted