Silver bowl that will not polish

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lark, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have a newport silverplate bowl 1877 with green enamel inside bowl . It is well tarnished but I spent 20 min in just one area and nothing! It does not appear to be lacquered. I am using wrights cream polish. Any suggestions?

komokwa likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

40 minutes......;)..:playful::playful::playful:

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

We need to see it, but I'm leaning toward the kind of finish that cannot be removed. I tried once to clean a coffee pot of my Mom's and ran into the same issue. A so-called non-tarnish surface that does tarnish after all but can't be cleaned.

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's regular silverplate - green enamel inside suggests it may be pewter (which won't polish).

Figtree3, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe Britannia ware, Pewter alloy?? It'll clean up a bit, but doesn't really polish....

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Unlikely to be pewter with a Newport Silverplate marking and "Britannia" is not a designation that is used in the US.

Aquitaine and Figtree3 like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's possible someone already polished this to death - if it's down to the "white metal" that's all she wrote.

ola402 likes this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I am afraid Bakersgma's reply is what I suspect. It says silverplate and there are some on the internet. Non tarnish and non polish! It is in excellent shape so sad to just have to junk it. I even tried the katsup. Since it is already junk maybe I will try the dreaded Tarnex. Thanks everyone.
    If it had shown even a little improvement I would have done 40 min! But one little spot for 20 min and nothing.

Lucille.b, Figtree3, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have a beautiful aesthetic period pitcher in the basement like this, won't polish. I just assumed that as @evelyb30 said, someone had polished it to death. It has spots that are brighter than others but overall looks in poor condition. I didn't think they had those coatings back then.

Draft saved Draft deleted