Featured Silver Brooch from Mexico - Question about stone used, era & designer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by gimbler-dave, Oct 5, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

We are researching this piece that just came into the shop. Our questions are:
    • What era is this from? We are thinking 20's to 40's - any thoughts?
    • What is the pale green/pale yellow stone with veins at the end of the silver segments?
    • Does the design have any special significance?
    • Any chance anyone recognizes the designer?
    Thanks in advance for any help! ... Dave

p.s. It measures about 2-3/4 inches high, 4-1/2 inches wide, and about 1 inch deep with a weight of 87 grams.
    db_brooch_1.JPG
    db_brooch_2.JPG
    db_brooch_3.JPG
    db_brooch_4.JPG

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Beautiful. The stones are probably jasper/agate or maybe malachite... there are people here who can help you determine it. Could we also see a picture of the entire catch/clasp mechanism from the back? As for age, it reminds me of jewelry my ol' man's mother wore, which would be 1940s.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  3. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Thank you Gila. Here are some pics of the clasp. I had forgotten about that as far as dating the item. I think this one is an older style, but not "antique":
    db_brooch_5.JPG
    db_brooch_6.JPG
    db_brooch_7.JPG
    db_brooch_8.JPG

GaleriaGila likes this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I believe that clasp only identifies the brooch as post-1920s, which you already thought. Just wait until the jewelry experts show up! :)

gimbler-dave likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Very nice.
    some kind of fruit tree ??
    The stones look like dusty green onyx....

[​IMG]

GaleriaGila likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd guess pre-1948 from the markings or lack thereof. The rocks are...who knows, but native to Mexico. It looks like alabaster of some sort. I'm guessing the stones are supposed to be berries, but someone who knows Mexican flora would know better.

GaleriaGila and gimbler-dave like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Definitely onyx. It's one of those desert berries, let me have a think.

komokwa likes this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree with the 40s/50s. I want to congratulate you on the photographs, they are wonderful.
    greg

11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Here are just a very few of the many berries that are Mexican and/or arid related:

Junifer berries- probably too round?
    [​IMG]
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/medicinal-benefits-juniper-berries-7691.html

Manzanitia berries - doubt it:
    [​IMG]
    http://honest-food.net/2010/08/22/manzanita-cider/

Desert Wild Grape - doubt it:
    [​IMG]
    http://treesplanet.blogspot.com/2014/07/vitis-girdiana-desert-wild-grape.html

One of the Lyciums AKA Desert-Thorn. This is an African Boxthorn lycium, big in California and suspect in Mexico also:
    [​IMG]
    http://sagebud.com/desert-thorn-lycium

Goji berries:
    [​IMG]

Then there are the myriad of pepper plants, tooo many to name.

gimbler-dave and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good going, Susan! Those last two possibles look closest.

Beautiful pin, which if I were still working and wearing jewelry, I would grab in a shot!

13. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Wait a minute! Here is another Mexican made silver brooch with green berries on a branch that is very very similar to yours. It is marked like yours, but the stones are of a different shape and possibly different material. It has more or less matching earrings. The seller doesn't know the maker, dates it to the 1930s, calling the stones "banded Jade," and saying "Sedona Arizona Flower."

https://www.etsy.com/listing/214313098/mexico-rare-jade-large-3-green-berry?ref=shop_home_active_13

--- Susan

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    gimbler-dave and komokwa like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The seller also doesn't know the correct stone either......but

Good find Lady !!!!

Dave's brooch is more elegant and finer !

15. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

As a representative of Mexicans everywhere, I am ashamed of not knowing what these berries are. The oblong-ness of this brooch makes me think they really are little peppers. The jojoba is also oblong but has a very different branch.

16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The seller doesn't know what they have and is spamming with possibilities.
    The earrings are a different stone than the pin and may indeed be a form of jade. The pin is onyx as is Dave's.
    I think the pin and earrings were bought separately, but are close enough for a woman to wear as a set.

As for the type of berry, I do not think it is a necessity to id. As I doubt there are very many berry pin collectors.
    However, if you must - I would go with the Boxthorn lycium. The crown is the same as the pin, as is the curvy stem. The Gojo has pointed crown and straight stem.

gimbler-dave likes this.
  17. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Sounds very reasonable to me, Clutter... can't figure somebody searching for "jojoba" or whatever.

18. evelyb30

There actually is no green onyx. It's a marble or travertine (to be specific) called "green onyx". Just being pedantic. Real onyx doesn't come in green, but people do look for this stone and dyed chalcedony under that name.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  19. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I so want to polish that lovely thing!!

gimbler-dave likes this.
  20. evelyb30

Me too, but with a sunshine cloth or some other mild compound. I'm forever finding pieces like this caked in that paste silver polish.(ick) Or worse, dipped. (aggh!)

gimbler-dave likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted