Silver(?) Chinese zodiac ingot

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by johnnycb09, Jun 7, 2017.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. Found this recently and cant find the mark anywhere. Im pretty sure its silver,its pretty heavy.Its 4 inches long,2 wide,and the detail is wonderful. Any input is always appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any Jewelry and cxgirl like this.
  2. johnnycb09

Monkey face...
    [​IMG]

cxgirl likes this.
  3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

4. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

If it is "Tibetan silver" be careful - as TS contains hardly any IF any silver at all. Made from a copper nickle alloy with up to 60% lead giving it it's silver color and feel.
    These are sold in 12 piece sets of each one having a specific zodiac sign

5. johnnycb09

Wow,thanks ! Its okay,I only paid $5. I wish Id have seen those before i spent so long staring at chinese silver marks ! So I gather some can be silver,though most apparently arent ?

judy likes this.
  6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Some of the very early ones are silver but they are far and few between. These cheapos have flooded the market.

judy, cxgirl and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. johnnycb09

Update.... I took this thing in to a shop that can scan for metal content (anyone ever heard of that ?!?) and it turned out to be,GASP!, solid silver ! That never happens for me,so I was thrilled. They bought it for $75 too! I really wasnt going to sell it but thought,what the hell !

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Wow. You must have been stunned!

9. johnnycb09

Totally ! Its not often my finds turn out to be a treasure ! That scanner thing they used was amazing,has anyone ever heard of such a thing?

judy likes this.
  10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I've been hearing a radio ad that states a particular coin shop has a brand new machine that can tell real from fake............wonder if it's the same machine.

I'm in MA....

BTW......congrats on your find!!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  11. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I have heard of those scanners. I forget their precise name, but basically they fire a laser at the metal. By measuring the reflections, they can calculate the percentage of each metal inside whatever it is.

Congratulations on your find! Personally I would've kept it, but to each their own!

johnnycb09, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The XRF analyzer (x-ray fluorescence?) device is latest one I've used (borrowed it.). Earlier one used electric spark and wasn't nearly as accurate. I'm ignorant of the laser device mentioned.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  13. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I was thinking of the XRF analyser, S.A. Only I forgot the actual name of it at the time of writing.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I wish I'd seen this thread before.
    It is an antique Chinese scroll weight, to keep scrolls flat when reading them.
    The small mark stamped on the back is the Zu Yin mark for a high silver content, higher than sterling.
    They make copies, but the marks on those are very crisp.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  15. johnnycb09

Do NOT make me hate myself ! LOL ! I guess I have a new entry for the one that got away thread !

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

17. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

You didn't have to take more pics., list it on ebay, ship it, pay ebay and paypal fees, worry about getting scammed and you made $70.00 profit, which is about $60.00 more than if you had listed it. I say you did really good!

cxgirl, SBSVC, judy and 2 others like this.
  18. johnnycb09

Thank you for that ! I just REALLY wish Id have known what it was before selling it,now Im glad I didnt buy that enamel /silver pot he had,the bastard !

SBSVC likes this.
  19. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

There is a cheaper (than X-ref) method of determining if something is solid silver. It's called a "precious metal verifier" and it measures the conductance of the material down to a depth of several millimeters. If you are buying a lot of gold and silver in the field it could be worth the $1400 or so. Being a tech I was tempted to build a custom one but it was too much engineering effort for so little return as I'm not into the silver/gold game. You can find some more info here ...
    http://www.sigmametalytics.com/
    https://www.silverbullion.com.sg/Articles/Detail/A-new-addition-to-testing---Electrical-Conduc/960

Cheers
    Stephen

johnnycb09 likes this.
  20. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

You've really got to be skeptical regarding the "how to" metal testing articles on the web. The conductivity one linked above probably wasn't written by a scientist who understood the topic, but by an advertising copywriter, based on my experience with other similar issues.

Here's an example pulled from "silver dot com" site. If you follow the written steps and cartoon pictures, unless I misread something, the second weight number you get will be zero, because that site's instructions are either just wrong or very-poorly written. If you have experience determining specific gravity, read carefully through their four steps and see if you agree.

[​IMG]

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted