Featured Silver Cuff Bracelet - Arts & Crafts Era??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by drg642, Sep 21, 2020.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    This bracelet is not marked, tests sterling. To me looks it like arts & crafts era design. What do you think? Period arts & crafts, more recent, something else?
    Thank you!
    aca1.JPG aca2.JPG aca3.JPG aca4.JPG

Any Jewelry, KSW, elarnia and 5 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Screams 1960s to me.

KSW, stracci and kyratango like this.
  3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Yes, I can see that OBB. Thank you.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree late 60s to early 70s.

KSW and kyratango like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those chunky cuffs were huge and that's almost a CND sign. It's a nice thing.

KSW and reader like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The design motif includes elongated peace symbols.

Debora

KSW likes this.
  8. komokwa

seriously...Deb ?
    No it doesn't.........it's missing the line thru the bottom opening.......:p

upload_2020-9-21_11-55-42.jpeg

every Hippie knows that !!! ;):playful::playful:

Debora and reader like this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Agree. I didn’t think of peace symbols but I did think of that period but I’m now wondering if it is older than late md century?

DragonflyWink likes this.
  10. komokwa

I don't care for the dimples or stippling or whatever that treatment is....
    but...to my eye it looks like it's trying to be a SW Navajo bracelet...maybe from the Route 66 era...
    I know it's not though...

upload_2020-9-21_15-24-18.jpeg upload_2020-9-21_15-25-14.jpeg

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It might fall into the category some of us call Deadhead silversmith jewelry. It's got that 1960s Arts & Crafts revival thing going on, and Deadhead/hippie silversmiths really "dug the vibe".

patd8643 and reader like this.
  12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, no way to really know when manufactured, but personally, have no problem with it perhaps being Arts & Crafts. It initially kind of reminded me of some Forest Craft Guild pieces, but if of that period, given the quality of the workmanship, would suspect made by an amateur, perhaps a student, maybe even a part of a vocational or rehabilitation program.

No time to really go poking around, and my A&C books are packed away, but the pic below, from a 1923 School Arts Magazine, shows pieces made by high school students, the long chain having similar pointed ellipse with 'Y' elements (there are quite a few hammered student pieces in the book). Again, not saying it's Arts & Crafts, but believe it's a possibility...

artscraftsjewelry1923schoolarts.JPG

https://books.google.com/books?id=xcsVAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA308&dq=hammered+bracelet+arts+crafts&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnoMzYpv3rAhUErVkKHezWC4w4ChDoATADegQIARAC#v=onepage&q=hammered bracelet arts crafts&f=false

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Great research Cheryl. I can go there too. I think drg642 may well be correct. After I posted that I thought it was hippy dippy (not because of “Ys”) I’ve been thinking about it and my gut feeling too is that it’s older as I posted after my first post. I don’t think it matters as it’s a very nice hefty piece and one way or another it’s certainly “vintage”. I don’t see it as anything SW although the size and shape certainly was made in the SW as shown by komokwa. I’d wear that piece lol.

14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

If that’s what you can find when you don’t have time to look I’m impressed!. Those Y links are very similar.

Any Jewelry, reader and kyratango like this.
  15. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Very interesting Cheryl, thank you very much for taking the time.

Any Jewelry and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted