Featured Silver cutlery

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Aquatic, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Aquatic

Aquatic New Member

Hello,
    I've got this cutlery from a neighbor who had it in his attic.
    Could anyone provide more information about it?
    I've done some inquiry and it seems the stamp is of Lutz & Weiß GmbH - Pforzheim from Germany.

IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1986.jpg
    IMG_2001.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Hi Aquatic , please can you edit your post to enlarge your photos to full size?.
    If you click edit on your post and go down to the photos and click on full size then save changes.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Aquatic

Aquatic New Member

Done. Thanks for the notice.

KSW, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ah, that's better!. Hopefully someone will be along shortly who can help. Members are all over the world so you may get answers at all times if the day or night.

i need help, Christmasjoy and Aquatic like this.
  5. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

If they're German, the handles are probably silverplate, possibly over a resin or cement core. One of the marks looks like it might be 80, which would be silverplated metal.

edit: Oops, I'm blind. I see the second 0 now. Disregard this comment please.

KSW and i need help like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Can maybe see 800 but it’s not easy to see much. Have you got any silver cleaner?

KSW and i need help like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

OP has the maker, Lutz & Weiss, they're marked as .800 silver, would guess by pattern, they date to the early 20th century. Is the *pap spoon marked?

*edit* Looking again at size and apparent depth of the bowl, more likely a sauce ladle...

~Cheryl

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Cheryl - do you know when New French blades were first used?

KSW, i need help and DragonflyWink like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea, but oh @MrNate ! Paging MrNate! The fork design does point to circa 1900 or maybe earlier, at least from what I can recall. I just tagged in an expert.

KSW likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

On American silver, the blunt French style was in use in the early 20th century, and the slender French style started showing up on some patterns in the '20s, and were pretty much standard by the mid '30s. On German silver, would expect them to be earlier, since they were common on French silver in the early 1900s...

This set, on eBay Germany, looks to be the same pattern, the blades are stainless steel, and though available a bit earlier, it didn't come into wide use until after WWI: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Lutz-Weiss-...275661?hash=item3fdf2e088d:g:YgAAAOSwK9heEzj1

French, from the 1911 Ercuis catalog:

frenchblade1911ercuis-1.JPG

~Cheryl

Attached Files:

Figtree3, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. in continental Europe hard to sell. too bourgeois, too simple timid everyday use.
    they made stuff under the influence of the Darmstadt Jugendstil colony that still kept its attraction and pays good money.

Draft saved Draft deleted